Home Adobe Substance

[SD] Does environment channel work at all? (Workarounds)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
First of all, I am not asking about environment map + IBL, I know that works.

I am asking about this (from the Blinn shader):

This environment channel is linked to output node tagged with environment usage:

And it's sampled here, but this won't work right with a simple NxN texture:

Problem, the cubemap is past as-is, that's NOT how cubemap works in OpenGL. Whatever I pass (cubemap, HDR environment, simple gradient), only one face will be loaded and only one face will show up in reflection.

So, does SD environment channel actually works? I don't think so.

Reason I need this: I am doing some stylized NPR texturing, I needed this reflection to work (pure ambient color isn't enough for my case, PBR + IBL isn't what I am looking for).

(Of course I could go in and modify the whole shader but the problem took place at the way environment texture is loaded, so my workaround will involve not using 
samplerCube)

Replies

• bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Alright, after a few tries I decided to dump the samplerCube solution all together, and create a custom Blinn solution using IBL's samplePanoramicLOD instead. So far so good:

Hope this helps someone in the future.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I seem to recall a bug with this being reported in another thread in this section recently. 

• oblomov
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    Indeed, the conversion from lattitude-longitude panorama to cubemaps is currently broken in SD on some macs (it seems like it runs out of video memory and only manages to convert one face of the cubemap). We're working on a fix but meanwhile, you can indeed work around it by using directly the Lat/Long environment map.