We’re planning to use some character models and clothing from Daz3D in a game. Daz provides almost everything we need: generic rigged male and female with customizable age, weight, etc. blendshapes plus a variety of outfits. The problem is that these are high poly models presumably meant for offline animations, not game-ready. Also, when used in Unity, some parts of some clothes go through the character skin or other layers of the clothes.
I’m looking for someone to decimate these character models and clothes and, if needed, tweak the clothes a bit to make sure they’re always outside skin. I’m told that will probably mean re-UV-ing and re-rigging afterwards. We also need to preserve the blendshapes for things like age and weight and the vertex attachments for the clothes. Basically, we want them to work just like they do now, but lower poly. We’ve tried the Daz automatic decimate plugin with no luck.
We’re using the Toon Generations characters:
We’ve got a handful of male and female clothes, such as:
Female example: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_23133
I’m honestly not sure if that’s a competitive rate or not, but that’s what I’ve got to work with.
Ideally done by end of February, but quality is more
important than speed.
Stephen G. Ware, University of New Orleans, [email protected]I'm a Prof. of Computer Science and I do game development work, so I have basic literacy here, but I mainly do AI and have little experience with graphics.
This is what I mean by the clothes going through the skin:
This doesn't happen in a T pose; it happens during certain animations. If this ends up being too difficult to fix, we may explore other alternatives such as turning parts of the body mesh invisible when they're under clothes.
The characters are roughly 35,000 polys and we need to bring them down to about 10,000. That's not a hard-and-fast number; I just want to give you an idea of how much loss we're going for.
There are a total of 10 hair objects and 24 outfits, some more complex than others. Some outfits, especially the female dresses, have parts that hang off, and we're planning to use Unity's cloth system for those. As they stand (with 1000s of polys for a dress) the cloth system is very expensive to run and gives some odd behavior. The clothes also have attachments to the rigged bodies and blandshapes that match the age, weight, etc. of the bodies, and we need to preserve those.
Thanks for reading, and please let me know if you have any questions.