Home Adobe Substance

Substance designer, making porcelain.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
I only ever use the metalic and roughness pbr, I never use the gloss/specular etc.

maybe I will export the model to Unity or Maromoset at some point but my goal is just to make a nice render of a vase with a glazed surfice which catches the light.

currently I am making some certamic vases, and I would like to experiement with other outputs available.

I was looking through all the documentation but I can't find a clear answer.

would any of these outputs help?

fresnel

clearcoat

AnisoRotation

scattering

IOR

refraction

anisotropy

your advice is welcome!

Replies

• Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    None of these would help with ceramic. You just need basecolor and roughness. You can mess with specularlevel ON TOP of roughness, but it isnt needed.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink said:
    None of these would help with ceramic. You just need basecolor and roughness. You can mess with specularlevel ON TOP of roughness, but it isnt needed.
    of  course metal/rough is all you need,  however the particular ceramic Im looking at has a thick glaze which captures the light and I would like to learn about the more unusal nodes of SD

with the above listed outputs, do they only have a notable effect in iray render mode? and what is their input range? grayscale etc? I'd like to know (im asking cause there is little clear information) so I could experiment and report back here.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That'll need a clear coat Shader. Where are you planning to render it? 

Specular level can enhance any surface if the Shader supports specular occlusion and you make the map properly. In this case the base specular level for the material is effectively the same as the default 0.5 linear

The extra channels are outputs for specific Shaders.  IOR is analogous to specular reflectance,  the rest should be pretty self explanatory if you have access to a shader than can use them
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    That'll need a clear coat Shader. Where are you planning to render it? 

Specular level can enhance any surface if the Shader supports specular occlusion and you make the map properly. In this case the base specular level for the material is effectively the same as the default 0.5 linear

The extra channels are outputs for specific Shaders.  IOR is analogous to specular reflectance,  the rest should be pretty self explanatory if you have access to a shader than can use them
    these shaders, are they not 'available' for rendering with Substance Designer's iray or are they speficicially for exporting? etc. I have a friend who uses Octane, so I could forward the files to him, does Octane use Clearcoat ??
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't looked at the current list of painter shaders as we use custom ones at work.  

Octane is pretty sophisticated so I imagine you can build shaders that will make use of the maps. I could be wrong, I don't pay much attention to anything non-realtime cos it bores me. 

Anyway, It seems like youre approaching this the wrong way round.   
    Your target renderer is what you need to generate information for.  Decide on that and then ask specific questions about the effect you're trying to produce in that renderer.  
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    I haven't looked at the current list of painter shaders as we use custom ones at work.  

Octane is pretty sophisticated so I imagine you can build shaders that will make use of the maps. I could be wrong, I don't pay much attention to anything non-realtime cos it bores me. 

Anyway, It seems like youre approaching this the wrong way round.   
    Your target renderer is what you need to generate information for.  Decide on that and then ask specific questions about the effect you're trying to produce in that renderer.  
    well my target render is just iray in substance designer, but as there are so many other output nodes like the ones I listed above I would like to know where/how to utilise them.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your first step would be to look at what the iray Shader supports - an overview can be found on this page

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/viewer-and-mdl-settings-162005221.html

It gives a brief explanation of what each channel does - Google is your friend for more detailed explanations. 

Porcelain is potentially quite a  complex material depending on the quality and manufacturing.  It's not something I've looked into a great deal but I know that some of the fancier stuff can get quite translucent and you will often find multiple layers of glazing etc.