Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

fighting the clock in spotting the correct proportion in time. please post your thoughts.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
m00k polycounter lvl 3
I have a recurring problem with my drawings.

Everything seems to be going along well. The proportions seem fine at the start - middle phases of the drawing. But as soon as the  features get more defined I notices the mistakes in proportion that I failed to see when for example in placing the eye I notice the face is stretched in vertically. See portrait below.

I did not notice the defect until a lot of the features are already defined. And I basically have to start the drawing from scratch again.

Does anybody have any tips on how to learn to see the proportions on the more abstract level when the drawing does not resemble the reference a lot yet?

As always speak your mind.

Replies

• m00k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m00k polycounter lvl 3
    If anyone happens to stumble upon this thread.

Some things that help me:
    • Take it slow. When you feel rushed take a couple of deep breaths and relax.
    • Take a break, a change of scenery, grab a cup of coffee and come back with fresh eyes. Things will jump out immediately
    • Look at your work from a distance, or in the mirror. This will give you a fresh perspective.
    • Don't stress out, it's just a drawing it doesn't need to be perfect the most important thing for me at least is to have fun while drawing. I have found you improve most when you're in a happy and relaxed state of mind.
    Also check out Jeff Watts on youtube. and read the art spirit by Robert Henri!