Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Outsidelane

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
OutsideLane polycounter lvl 3
Heya! 
My name is 'Outsidelane' and i'm an aspiring 3D character artist - nice to meet you guys!

I'm gonna start this sketchbook to have a place to better track and organize my projects and keep people who are interested up to date :)
I also stream my progress when i can and i invite you to come and say hi at twitch.tv/outsidelane .

Feel free to comment, critique, suggest, ask and just talk to me about whatever - it is always appreciated;)

PS: Have a snoop on my Artstation page and see some of my portfolio pieces and doodles!
https://www.artstation.com/outsidelane

Replies

• OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i guess i'll be starting this off with some WIP shots of two older projects i have revived now.
    One is a handpainted fanart piece of Diana from League of Legends, imagining a skin of the "arclight" line for her.

It's far from done, but i'm having a blast right now :D

• OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 2nd project i'm working on is another fanart, but i'm going for a realistic style with it.
    If you have watched the movie "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters", then you should recognize the character.

After already having done her gun and the crossbow, it's time for the actual witch hunter --> Gretel 

I redid the clothes for her in Marvelous Designer and the last thing i was working on today was the corset pretty much.
    Still lots to do, but it's a nice contrast to Diana at the moment ;)

• OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on all clothes:
    I've revisited the boots, the gloves, made a new shirt in Marvelous Designer to better match the vertical folds, refined all clothes some more, added subtle noise on the boots and gloves.
    I'm undecided if i want to apply fabric textures as sculpted information or let Substance Painter do the work for this, however, the plan eventually is to create a second, damaged version of the clothes aswell (?). 

• OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took the opportunity to do a hand anatomy study from scratch for this project, will add more details now and even try out some displacement textures :#

PS: Feedback and critique is always welcome!
  • OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess it's time to update this thread again, showing the finished high poly pieces of her clothes, a completely revisited head sculpt, attempting to get the likeness done (don't get me even started on this xD) and another shot of my current experiments with haircards. 
    I jumped between a lot of softwares and tried out what would work best for me and this hairstyle... i think i'm onto something here ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 
    (Ignore the braid and ponytail for now)

• motionact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionact polycounter lvl 8
    This is really great work!! Keep it up!  Can you please provide some tutorial on how you did the hair cards. I really do admire your skills.
  • OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I guess i gotta update this thread here, the hair looks way different by now *cough*

I'm sorry, i don't have the time at the moment to make an actual tutorial, but there is no magic to it.
    For me it was a good amount of trial and error, back and forth until i found a workflow that i liked.
    I guess in short it's just hair cards that i hand placed to build the hairstyle, deformed by a curve so that i could bring the cards into the twisted and curled positions.
    I used xGen in Maya for the texture and Blender to place the cards, because the curve control there is just way better than Maya's :P 
    Then i would subdivide and duplicate the cards only to split up the duplicates into a bunch of thinner hair cards that were already in position for me to put different textures on them and mose them a bit to create variety.

• OutsideLane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP

I'm in the process of finishing the character, but there's still some stuff left to do with the hair and especially the skin.
    It's difficult to keep the look and impression of the raw sculpt actually *cough*.
    I'll also be posing her ofc and making a small pedestal but so far so good.
    Turns out it's way more challenging to make hair look decent in Unreal Engine (screenshot from Marmoset), but i'm getting there :D 

When i'm actually done with her, i'll be making a seperate, bigger post on Artstation and in the showcase forum here on polycount so i have everything that's part of this project at one place and can show everything off that is part of it:)