Home Unity

This is why I never update Unity...

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
everytime I've updated Unity, its fucked up a project,

I only use it see how my models look in a game engine, and it was really nice and easy being able to drag in Sbsar files into it.

then Unity seemed to only accept 2048x sbsar files without any procedural elements, just bitmaps, now it dont even accept bitmaps.

i dont get why unity shoots itself in the foot regarding sbsar files.

now i've updated unity, i need to install some stupid plugin to make 'sbsar files work', but now it tells me that I need to update all of my sbsar files manually.

its really annoying, I could be spending my time today learning zbrush or something.

Replies

• aphixe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphixe null
    Time to use version control. I use plastic scm, when my project got jacked up i just reverted one of my commits.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes.

This is why studios have very tight control on software upgrades. A small team tests the new version thoroughly before allowing the rest of the studio to upgrade.

That's why studios are often a couple versions behind the latest release. And only upgrade periodically, minimize risk.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    Yes.

This is why studios have very tight control on software upgrades. A small team tests the new version thoroughly before allowing the rest of the studio to upgrade.

That's why studios are often a couple versions behind the latest release. And only upgrade periodically, minimize risk.

yeah, I noticed the version I had been using stopped acepting proceduarl sbsar files, however it accepted sbsar files which only had bitmaps inside of them so it wasnt too bad then I got annoyed at this and looked into solving the problem which opened a can of worms. first being told I needed a special plugin, oh that only works on the latest version! ok lets download the latest version, great, scene looks ugly, lets install the plugin, oh wait now all of my files are out of date and need updating to the latest version... (my maintainance has expired for SD/SP), its not that hard! here is a link with youtube video explaining what to do... fuck I can focus on this... I will just abandon this scene and do something else for the next few months...