Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Travelers kit - open for critique, tips and any inputs.

silverpoly
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
silverpoly polycounter lvl 5
I created this project as a start for my portfolio. I know I have a lot to learn. It is somewhat overwhelming to focus on what i really need to learn due to many resources online. I would like to be an 3D environment artist so i decided to start doing props first.
Any suggestion or comments are welcome. Pls don't hold back with your comments. I really need some motivation right now. thank you. 

artstation link
https://www.artstation.com/silverpoly

Spyglass
compass
magnifying glass

Any suggestion for a good portfolio projects are welcome.

Thank you in advance. 

Replies

• arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    Lookin good. Is this Marmoset? Would you mind showing wireframe?
  • silverpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov said:
    Lookin good. Is this Marmoset? Would you mind showing wireframe?
    Thank you. Yes I used Marmoset to render the images. I'm still exploring the software to have better renders. 
    I can't seem to find how to render the wireframe. If you don't mind I added the link of my artstation and I have uploaded marmoset view files in it. 

Thank you
  • arnov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks, I checked it out. For me it's alright. Maybe including references and UV's could also be a good idea. Easier to see how something could be improved.  :) 
  • silverpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arnov said:
    Thanks, I checked it out. For me it's alright. Maybe including references and UV's could also be a good idea. Easier to see how something could be improved.  :) 
    Thank you very much.
  • Go2frag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, i think starting with props is good idea :smile: 
    I would suggest to not make a warm light(or hdr) since your models have warm metal colors- it makes whole images looks monochromatic. If you wanted to achieve it then it's cool, if not try to use some cooler lights like bluish etc. it could make nice contrast and provide some color variation.

You can add more geometry on the spyglass like you did on other models. They're portfolio pieces, they should look nice and attractive on the first place. It should be your evidence that you can make best quality models, and you can always make models with less geometry at the work-daily basis  :smile:

here's tab, when you can render wireframe: 

hope I helped :smile:
  • silverpoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag said:
    Hi, i think starting with props is good idea :smile: 
    I would suggest to not make a warm light(or hdr) since your models have warm metal colors- it makes whole images looks monochromatic. If you wanted to achieve it then it's cool, if not try to use some cooler lights like bluish etc. it could make nice contrast and provide some color variation.

You can add more geometry on the spyglass like you did on other models. They're portfolio pieces, they should look nice and attractive on the first place. It should be your evidence that you can make best quality models, and you can always make models with less geometry at the work-daily basis  :smile:

Thank you. for your feed back. 
    I'm still studying how to render this pcs and your suggestion is really helpful. I will change my hdr.
    Regarding the polycounts for the spyglass. This is actually my dilemma, I don't know if I need to show that i can do really low models so your comment regarding this matter really helps. 

Thank you