Home Technical Talk

Best practices for semi-open world?

Hello, polycount community! This is my first post so hope I am not breaking any rules and am posting this question in the right place..... Anyway, I was wondering what would be the proper and efficient way of building a large map with some boundaries. I was looking to build a forest with a few mountains and a waterfall/river flowing through. I am still pretty new to game development. I am becoming more familiar with Maya, Substance painter, Unreal 4, and barely learning ZBrush. I know you can create pretty detailed mountains with heightmaps from terrain.party and a plane in Maya. I want a good amount of detail for the mountains which would mean a high poly count? My concern is that I don't want to overload Unreal, having something that is too detailed and impossible to process. I have Trees, rocks, and a bunch of other assets that need to be included on this map. I also saw a tutorial a while back were most open world games only load 3d assets that are in the player's immediate field of vision. Is this all that would be necessary to execute this effectively?

Not really sure how would I google this particular question so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies