Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face / Head Critique

Fraktayne
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Fraktayne polycounter lvl 5
Hi there,
I need critique on this head piece I made to learn how exactly the face things work or how it should look like.
I know that everyone's face / head is unique but I want to learn how a typical head looks.

I tried to do a female head btw.

Replies

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like you're going for a stylized head but I would change the ears personally. Usually they go from the top of the eyebrows to the bottom of nose. Hope that helps a bit!
  • Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 said:
    Looks like you're going for a stylized head but I would change the ears personally. Usually they go from the top of the eyebrows to the bottom of nose. Hope that helps a bit!
    Thank you,
    I was actually trying for a realistic head. Please tell me what areas to improve and what I should do to make it less stylized.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
                    Hi @Fraktayne here is a quick paintover which I hope helps illustrate the proportion problems you face (no pun intended). I think you need to take a step back and focus on the very basis of what shapes a face, the skull. With that knowledge you can very quickly figure out the key landmarks to getting proportions correct. Remember the ear hole is nearly center mass horizontally and vertically. The eyes sit above the horizontal cut and should be scaled down a bit. Make sure to always keep reference up and dont be afraid to do some paintovers of scanned models of faces/skeletons to learn the common landmarks.

For your next post please provide the reference you are using and keep your screenshots (front and profile views) in orthographic.

• JustinT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
    I would suggest expanding this to a *bust* critique, as there's some subtle forms around the base of the head that are hard to notice unless you also factor in the neck, specifically the trapezius and sternocleidomastoid areas. 
  • Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

I've made another one from scratch because playing with this, I just can't seem to make it right.
    So i've taken these in orthographic mode, does it look better?
    link to reference: https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/599893612837172958/

• Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Another update on the head progress, I think/hope it's looking a little bit better now.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Ok so you have something that look like a female right
    One thing that you could do at this moment is to get a reference of a real female and compare with what you have .This will help with any mistake you might have For example you could analyze your own work and lets say neck looks a bit weird so what you do is get a reference in the same view and check/correct mistakes if there are any .Don't have to copy everything of course for example this girl have big ears if you don't like that you could look for other reference with more suitable ears same with any other element
    This approach will help with silhouette and big form but for inside forms you have to take time to learn ->skull ,few muscle, fat distribution ,plane of the head and features construction/variations
    The more you know the more you can actually see and understand which lead to better head sculptures
  • Fraktayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

Here's an update on the head, I've used a brighter matcap this time.
    Please feel free to point out some errors I may have.