Home Technical Talk

Questions about UV mapping and UDIMS.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SamanthaLeeLouloudis polycounter lvl 3
Hi all, Uni student here. 

I'm still pretty new to 3D work, and I've just finshed retopo on a bust I did in Zbrush. 

I would like to take this character in VFX/Cinematic type work when I'm finished with it. 

I'm watching a tutorial, and he has his maps like this - this is UDIM right? This sort of workflow is ok for cinematic use but not games as most engines don't support UDIMs, correct? Just trying to make sure I understand everything properly, this hasn't been covered in my lectures. 

Also sometimes when I'm unwrapping the UV shell will collapse in on itself - relaxing it doesn't seem to help in getting a similar structure to the one the tutorial has. 

Thank you! 

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
      You can use UDIM unwrapped models in games too , just usually have to make several sub-materials, one for each UV tile.   I have even seen a script for 3d max that could do it  automatically for UDIM unwrapped objects. 

In fact UDIM is just a naming convention  that makes some 3d soft to load textures automatically without appointing each of them separately.

Otherwise it differs very little with only thing that each of such new sub-material makes a new so called "draw call". But  games now do lots of such draw calls for big complex objects like buildings , terrain parts etc. 

It's just traditionally games use tiling textures on big things  and 0-1 unique uv  space  considered enough for smaller objects  while UDIM was offered as a helper for using unique unwrap with very small texel size and no tiling parts in movies where texture memory limitations is not an issue.
      Still nothing prevents you to do same in games to certain extent.