Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Heavy Punch Critiques

This is my very first post on this site so I'm really hoping this will be a great place to get some helpful critiques on my work. So I'm begging you all to not hold back on me but also be helpful with your critiques. 

Anyways, Just finished this game animation of a character throwing a powerful punch. My major concern with this animation is the fact that its not quick enough for a game animation.

So any critiques; both positive and negative, are appreciated. :smile:
SyncSketch link: https://syncsketch.com/playground/66654d879976434cbd6120d8d9dc5f53#655310/581841

Replies

• pascalie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pascalie polycounter lvl 2
    we need the synsketch link to critique
  • GorillaFunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GorillaFunk polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, looks like you have a solid start. Definitely add some more padding(aka extra frames) at the start and end of the anim. Feels like its over before it starts.  Are you using any reference for this shot?  If not definitely get some and even act it out at your desk, so you can feel how your body is working to throw a punch. Your poses could be a clearer, the left fist is the focus don't let it get lost in his torso. Also since this is a game animation have him start and end in the same pose so he can blend back to idle smoothly. 
  • OverlordChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, looks like you have a solid start. Definitely add some more padding(aka extra frames) at the start and end of the anim. Feels like its over before it starts.  Are you using any reference for this shot?  If not definitely get some and even act it out at your desk, so you can feel how your body is working to throw a punch. Your poses could be a clearer, the left fist is the focus don't let it get lost in his torso. Also since this is a game animation have him start and end in the same pose so he can blend back to idle smoothly. 
    Ah I see, the problem I was having working on this animation was being afraid of making the animation too long for a game animation so I left some things out to make it quick enough. Thanks for your input. :smile:
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Is this for a playable character or an NPC? The timing will be very different depending on your answer.
    Player actions will be quicker, while NPC actions will have a larger antic window so players can read the attack and react.

Either way you want to use the time effectively. As soon as you can, get into the antic pose so the player has more frames to see it. If it's a player character you won't spend much time on the settle, where as NPCs can spend more time at the end returning to their idle pose.

Also the concerns about readability will be different.
    If it's for a player, then show the animation from the angle the player will see it, which is probably from the rear.