Home Technical Talk

Help with understanding modular sets and texel density

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8

I understand how modular sets work. But what I’m confused about is the size some of them tend to be. I see some modular pieces, like a wall for example, that might be 4x4 meters. This maps a 2k texture nicely with a texel density of 5.12 per meter. But then I see some slightly taller. Or I see some like 3x4. 

Is there any rule to the size modular walls/floors/ceilings needs to be as long as the correct texel density is applied to them and they all snap together? 

I understand the power of 2 rule. 1 meter can map a 512 texture nicely (with a texel density of 512 per meter). But when people say “this is good because it can be scaled up and can fit 1024 or 2048 perfectly”. Ok, I get that, but why would you ever scale up a modular piece? Scaling rocks or more organic things makes sense, but I don’t get why you’d scale a modular piece like this?

And what about wall thickness? Can’t you just make the wall thickness anything you want and adjust the UVs in Maya, for example, to be the correct texel density? Why would the wall thickness need to be a power of 2?

Sorry for the ramble. Hope this question makes sense!

Replies

• jordank95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
    Really hate to bump this, but it’s been some days now and it’s getting lost on the second page. Can anyone help clear this up? I’ve already gone through the Wiki on this site and am still confused. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Powers of two rule is only for bitmaps. Not for models.

It's nice to have consistent texel density, but in practice it is difficult/impossible to maintain. It is not a strict rule, it is a "nice to have".

Wall thickness is best matched to your grid, just to make it easier to align/snap pieces. That's it.