Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][WIP] Feudal Japan Environment

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jjsuperspy polycounter lvl 8
Hey Everybody

So I'm creating this forum thread/post in hopes that i will actually stick to something.

I want to create a feudal Japan environment piece, I'm not sure what the environment will be exactly but I have some references mainly from 2 games which are Ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. I've also created a Pinterest board (its just easier to create that then have a folder haha) for actual photos of feudal Japanese buildings, towns and architecture.

At the moment I'm moving towards doing something from the beginning of the sekiro gamescom demoI like the different elevations and the mixture of man made and organic objects.

Here is the ref board that I have made. 

Here is the Pinterest link https://pin.it/na3z3ojodteyqw

Here I have selected certain things that I like and what I'm thinking so far for were the project could go.

Anyway I can't wait to get into this project it should be a fun one. If you have any feedback, critiques and/or questions feel free to comment. Hopefully you enjoy what I make and hopefully I can stick with it.

* The next update will hopefully be of some 3D models and textures. Going to do modular pieces for the buildings to start off with.

Replies

• jjsuperspy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jjsuperspy polycounter lvl 8
    ***NEW UPDATE***

Sup everyone

Since last time I've been working on some modular assets and some materials. I also started working on the layout of the scene.

Here I have made a small amount of assets that can make up some buildings. I've created a few wall pieces as well as a door and some wall details.

Top are the pieces and the lower part are them arranged to make a bottom part of a building.

Here are 2 materials I have made mainly for the building pieces, there's a wood and plaster textures made within substance designer. Here is what they look like in unreal engine 4.

One thing that I thought was massively important to do and before I start going off the deep end and make more assets was to figure out what the environment will be and what they layout will be. Again I feel it is important to do this now rather then later.

I created a layout piece with images from Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of war and Horizon Zero Dawn: Frozen Wilds DLC to get a feel for what sections and visually what I want.

Here is the basic layout so far.

For this environment I'm thinking of setting it in the snowy mountains. On one side there will be a camp where you start from which then connects to a mountain ridge pathway that acts as my elevation change which in the last post I said i really liked. From there that pathway takes you to a Shrine or a castle/fortress at the peak. Along the ridge pathway there will be a broken down elevator with different tiered heights of rock platforms and above that there will be a broken down building.

I'll start on the camp and work out from there because at least then if I see this project is becoming to big I can cut the rest and focus on that section and maybe off in the background have some hints to a Castle or Shrine which this camp is a rest stop to get to the castle.

I'm not sure what the next update will be on possibly more material and asset work as well as research into what camps and building would be in snowy mountains in Feudal Japan and possibly more layout designs as well.