Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Hammer

mikewitk
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mikewitk polycounter lvl 4
Hello Everyone,

My name is Michael and I am on my road to become an Environment Artist, starting with small props.

I am working on this stylized hammer. For now, this is the Low Poly version (6K polys).

Can you give me your opinion on the wireframe? tips? tricks? suggestions? Silhouette? 

Thank you

Replies

• Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Hi there! You have a few edge loops that aren't contributing to the model's silhouette, and thus could probably be deleted - or reworked to actually contribute to the silhouette. If you delete them, I would spend those tris on making the curved shapes smoother:

You could also do stuff like delete the geo on the inside of the sphere that's not seen since it's covered up by the edge pieces, but that's a little risky if for example this prop is going to be used in an animation, etc.
  • mikewitk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Carabiner,

Thanks for the feedback. The middle edge I left intended. My plan is/was to use symmetry but I am not so sure anymore. On one hand I can do more on the UV space having half of the hammer, however, just "half" of it will be original texture wise.

What do you think? Symmetry or no symmetry? This will be a piece of my portfolio

Thank you
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    No symm.  Portfolio piece means maximize sexy.  Especially if there's not preexisting franchise/game it's supposed to be in that would require certain technical requirements for it
  • mikewitk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone,

I am having trouble with the High Poly version, specifically where the two curves meet. I am trying to use "Smoothing Groups" to solve it but it's not working.

Does anyone have any tips how I can make the transition smooth?

Thanks
  • CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    You need to add more edges to the curve, there isnt any easy way to do it