Home Adobe Substance

Creating custom materials in Substance Painter

zombie420
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
I have some photo scanned textures that I've imported into a Painter project. Can I save the material or do I need to re import the textures each time I use them in a project? I feel like I'm overlooking something simple.

Note, I see where I can R Click and save a smart material, but I'm really just trying to save as a base material.

Replies

• Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    You kindof need substance designer to do that.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The question is missing a bit of context; I'm not sure how you can use photo-scanned textures in Substance Painter. My best guess is that you might be doing something along the lines of triplanar projecting bark onto a tree.
    If you stack the layers comprising your material into a folder, then you can right-click the folder and choose "Create Smart Material".
    This will turn it into a preset material that you can just slap onto anything you want. If you have to manually mask out portions or paint details, this won't work properly.
  • zombie420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zombie420 polycounter lvl 10
    The question is missing a bit of context; I'm not sure how you can use photo-scanned textures in Substance Painter.
    I imported all my texture maps, created a blank material and plugged the maps into the material settings. Now I have a tiling, photoscanned material but I don't know how to save it to my shelf. I can save it as a smart material, but that isn't really what I'd be using it for.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    zombie420 said:
    The question is missing a bit of context; I'm not sure how you can use photo-scanned textures in Substance Painter.
    I imported all my texture maps, created a blank material and plugged the maps into the material settings. Now I have a tiling, photoscanned material but I don't know how to save it to my shelf. I can save it as a smart material, but that isn't really what I'd be using it for.
    if you want to make a material - rather than a smart material - you need to use substance designer to make a SBSAR file.