Home Adobe Substance

3D Look with flat plane and displacement??

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ken Bock polycounter lvl 7
So I came across this amazing piece of the Game of Throne's throne by Phi Liu here on artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xLl1Y

He created all of the swords in Substance Designer. When I watched the video turn around it showed just a bunch of flat planes that he applied the material to. Now when it rotates and your looking at the swords right at the side of their blades they have some thickness to them vs just disappearing or looking like thin lines. So I commented asking him how he got the flat planes to have this thickness effect . He responded with

"Take one plane, duplicate it, reverse normal and combine. Then play around with displacement amount and starting point."

So I tried to get this same effect myself with just a simple grass blade that I fully created in Substance Designer. I did exactly as he said and I'm unable to get the same type of result. Even with adjusting the "Scale" & "Scale Center" in the displacement settings.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding his explanation? If anyone could shine some light on this I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Replies