why bake with marmoset?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 triangle
i was wondering if the bake feature in marmoset is just like baking in other 3d software such as Blender or Substance Designer, for example, normals of high poly to low poly etc, or is it for something else? 

at the moment I only use marmoset for rendering stuff after I've baked things in different software. or am I missing something?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    First and foremost, Toolbag is a fast and high quality GPU baker. Other bakers may have one or two features that you'll find in Toolbag, but overall Toolbag is most complete baking app on the market (though I am of course biased).

Here are some notable features:
    • Real-time 3D bake previews. As you adjust bake settings you get a preview of your bake on your model in real-time, which greatly speeds up the workflow. Small changes will only update the area you're working on, which means instant preview. With most other bakers you're "flying blind" and have to wait for the bake to finish before spotting errors, which can make the process very slow.
    • Skew map painting, you can paint directly on the mesh to fixed skewed detail.
    • Cage sculpting, you can sculpt your cage in and you with a easy to use brush to make sure the cage covers the high poly. The Estimate Offset feature can automate this process as well. Custom cages are supported too
    • Texture set support, bake maps to multiple texture sets (body, head, armor, etc) all at once.
    • Bake groups provide you a way to isolate groups of high and low meshes to prevent intersection errors. There's no longer any need to explode your meshes or bake objects individually.
    • AO is cast from group to group as well, so you don't need to mix in a low poly AO map bake either. This feature can be toggled off per group too, so you can turn it off for moving parts or other areas that shouldn't cast or received AO to / from other objects.
    • The Quick Loader uses name matching to set up bake groups, making the whole process very simple and easy.
    • Layered PSD support, you can export all bakes as a single PSD, with layers set up with automatic masks based on material IDs. This is really useful if you're using a PS-centric texturing workflow
    • Many, many map types.

More info here: https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/

Check out some of the latest features here: https://marmoset.co/posts/free-update-toolbag-3-05/

• hansolocambo
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 5
    Well sure, after reading this amazing list of features, using anything else to bake sounds crazy ;) I didn't know about the ability to sculpt the cage ? I'm gonna have to look at that ! Would have definitely helped in some cases where I had to detach pieces of a same object that would cast rays on each other.
  • EarthQuake
    Well sure, after reading this amazing list of features, using anything else to bake sounds crazy ;) I didn't know about the ability to sculpt the cage ? I'm gonna have to look at that ! Would have definitely helped in some cases where I had to detach pieces of a same object that would cast rays on each other.
    Yeah the cage sculpting is great for solving that sort of thing in tight areas, especially when it's a watertight mesh that you don't want to split.

If it's two unique objects, you can separate them into different bake groups and that will solve intersection errors as well.
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 5
    • Layered PSD support, you can export all bakes as a single PSD, with layers set up with automatic masks based on material IDs. This is really useful if you're using a PS-centric texturing workflow
    Can the masks be set to use vertex colors instead of Material IDs? Sounds like a super good feature.
  • EarthQuake
    MDiamond said:
    Can the masks be set to use vertex colors instead of Material IDs? Sounds like a super good feature.
    Toolbag supports baking of vertex colors (RGB & Alpha), but that system is not hooked up to the automatic mask generation at this time - that only works with the material ID data.
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    easy
    fast
    beautiful

Seriously, after your first bake you won´t ever want to use another baker.
  • EarthQuake
    C86G said:
    easy
    fast
    beautiful

Seriously, after your first bake you won´t ever want to use another baker.

• goekbenjamin
    is it possible to preview the bakes of only a certain mesh?
    like when i have then meshes..and i change only the cage of one mesh..than all others get updated too which slows all down.
  • EarthQuake
    is it possible to preview the bakes of only a certain mesh?
    like when i have then meshes..and i change only the cage of one mesh..than all others get updated too which slows all down.
    You can disable auto-bake updates per Low slot. Click on the Low object and change Auto-Bake from Quick to None.