Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Library Portfolio Environment Piece

This is my first time posting a project here, I've decided to create a library scene in my free time and apparently I like a challenge so it's set in a cylindrical tower with an emphasis on verticality. I'm thinking the main external light source will be a dome shaped skylight at the top of the tower.
This library is part of a wealthy aristocrats mansion, there are a lot of books but the space is intended only for him/her and one other, maybe a deceased spouse.

Below is some of the reference I have collected, I'm really keen to base this around a key feature of a double staircase that leads to new levels of the library, and I'm going for more of wooden overall feeling to the place, like a fine mahogany, rich brown hues with reds and greens, but we will see where it takes me.

Any critiques along the way will surely help!

Thanks!

Replies

• razmalazz

Started to blockout the area. Set up a camera so I can get an idea of an example shot on the right. I'm going with 3 tiers, I was thinking the inner cylinder on the top tier would also be books or glass, but i'm not sure the structure would support the weight of an inner layer of books, and glass doesn't fit the theme too much, so I may change it to open. I've also got to work out what to do with the area i've left open at the minute. If I just block it off and put a door on the cylinder it would be fairly enclosed and might not leave much room for a camera to work with so I may extend it out a little, because it would also have to connect with the rest of the mansion/house anyway.
  • razmalazz

Progress on the blockout of the scene.

Added some more interest to the overall shape of the room, a possible focal point in the spiral staircase which also bulges out of the main cylindrical shape as does the space above it. The top tier is more fleshed out and i've managed to split the walls into a few separate bookcase modules as well as a very rough blockout of the area at the back.

Bannisters/railings still need to be added, but I think it might be good to start fleshing out a bookcase design for the walls as this will cover a large portion of the design. I'll also need to think about the design of the skylight, and how best to light the room.
  • Jamfu
    This looks really great! Im looking forward to seeing the final model! keep going