Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - January & February 2019 (58)

Replies

• Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo_Elliott polycounter lvl 4
    I finished the rough texturing phase today, I think I may take the piece an iteration further in texturing at a later date but I think it is final for now, what changes do you guys think I could make to make it look extra crispy?? I am generally very happy with where it stands now but every aspiring artist needs critique. I will be posting more renders at a later date on Artstation in the future.  I have had a blast participating in this challenge and will continue to be impressed by your posts, thanks in advance. 
    Global illum. in the second image is a little high but I was excited to share anyway

• Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Thanks a lot @Finnn... I normally have to take extra special care in the area because I have a color deficiency, thus meaning I can't see small differences in shades of similar color. I see browns, reds, blues and purples a little differently than other people so it really helps having someone to give critique on that! Thanks again for reiterating how much focus I should put on the color theory of the model.
    Oh sorry to hear that. Maybe you using the greyscale technique Larry mentioned can help you!

Your result looks nice, well done!
  • Decordova360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    @Gustavo_Elliott
    Love the texture, can I bother you for more shot angles. The gold really stands out and the brushed metal too. :smiley:  

• Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, @Decordova360, I'm gonna get on marmoset and get some more angles going, I'll have them posted in the next day or so, thanks so much, those are both base substance painter materials I tweaked with to make look like such. I will definitely took note to the grayscale technique Larry mentioned, it seems very useful for getting values right to a T.
    @Finnn Thanks a lot! the color deficiency doesn't bother much, just gotta give that part a bit more care, like I said :)
  • Gustavo_Elliott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Decordova360 Here are a couple more up-close angles, hope ya like it :)
  • Decordova360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    @Gustavo_Elliott Maybe make the roughness a little dull with some grunge mask (subtle stuff like finger print, dirt, dust, and or weathering), unless you're wanting this look for your asset. 

• Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Here is some progress with my attempt, Whenever I try these challenges something usually fucks up which prevents me from finishing them hah, Anyway, I am trying to stay true to the concept while adding a kind of heroes of the storm/clash of clans style to the model so it looks good from a mobile/rts perspective

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Hey all - Just dropping in to say that the Concept Voting Thread is up for the next Challenge!

https://polycount.com/discussion/208929/monthly-environment-art-challenge-concept-thread-march-and-april-2019/p1?new=1

~kade
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    @Gustavo_Elliott
    Thanks! I sculpted it in Zbrush with an alpha, yes. I had it lying on my computer for sometime, if you type "height map alpha" on pinterest there are some pretty cool pictures that require a little bit of photoshop to get rid of the artifacts and then act as perfectly nice stencils. Also i think it would be a nice excercise for you if you re-textured it, and not use any pre-made materials from substance.Everything you can do on substance designer you can do on painter too. I'm saying this after i re-textured mine alot of times since my texturing skills are the worst, and they bring down my models. I feel i made great progress, although there's much more to be done.

@Finnn
    Thanks! I started experimenting by having the word "contrast" all the time in my head. There are many ways in which you can apply contrast on textures,and make them more visually appealing.
    I'm using contrast through roughness on a micro/macro scale(meaning both in microsurface and in each individual piece),with height, with warm and cold colors, and through saturation!

This is my end result, after going the extra mile and adding some presentation :)
    gonna upload more pictures on my  artstation !

You can check it on sketchfab as well!
    https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/steampunk-taser-baton-236833603959432bbc5b3c2f0e6399f7

• Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    finishing up the high, just need to do the sword&shield and will start the retopo, pretty sure this is going to be all unique UV space, except for the stone walls of the house, which will have a tiling texture.  any crits appreciated

• Metagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The high poly and low poly are now complete, using a variety of modelling techniques but mainly traditional Sub-D and Chamfersmooth. A red material was used to indicate mirrored and duplicate shells to save on UV space. The back handle ring looks a little choppy - I'll see how this looks with bake and add loops if needed. I will unwrap this quickly at the expense of efficiency and optimisation as I know how to unwrap and want to use my time effectively.
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Today is the final day of the challenge, This is what I've got. Didn't have time to retopo/texture it, and need to add the Sword&Shield at a later point. Good work everyone, really enjoyed this

• Rossua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rossua polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, im looking forward to the next Environment challenge as i missed out on this one. When is the new challenge announced typically?
  • kadeschui
  • jeffry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffry polycounter lvl 3
  • Quibees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quibees polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys! A bit late, but I`ve managed to finish cleric`s relic :)  More pictures on my artstation https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PmynQ3 with sketchfab viewer.  
  • AndySC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndySC polycounter lvl 5
    A bit of a late update from me. It took longer than I was expecting as I kept revising parts to add more detail, but didn't want to leave it. I would have liked to add more detailing in Substance painter but my PC was really struggling once I'd added a few layers.
    Modeled in Blender, baked in Toolbag, into Substance Painter then rendered in Eevee. 

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    AndySC said:
    A bit of a late update from me. It took longer than I was expecting as I kept revising parts to add more detail, but didn't want to leave it. I would have liked to add more detailing in Substance painter but my PC was really struggling once I'd added a few layers.
    Modeled in Blender, baked in Toolbag, into Substance Painter then rendered in Eevee. 

I really liked the emissive cylinders you placed as electricity :) good job overall !