Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kheera Reach - Hand painted

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
LilyNion polycounter lvl 3

(And a quick render test, didn't really like the way it went but it shows off the rigging very well so whatever!)

Hey everyone! I'd like to present you my model, Kheera Reach. She's a Jedi from the Star Wars universe (own creation), and a Cathar as species. To keep the story short, this is my first real big project with rigging, shape keys for the expressions, learning how to use proper topology and you can see throughout the model how I've slowly learned more and more. It's been a year-long process where I've had several large breaks in between, but I'm so glad she's done! 

Because of my lack of topology understanding when I started this project the body is based off a base I found. I got "greedy" because I wanted to be done with the mesh as soon as possible just so I could texture (I like texturing a lot!) and therefore didn't bother learning the basics of topology until I hit a stone wall because I had no idea what I was doing. And the mouth is just a mouth I found on the internet. And I have to say, it saddens me that because of this the model isn't 100% "me". But it has taught me what to prepare for, for my next project. So the next model is 100% going to be me and that's also exciting! 

(I'd also like to credit Squishydew, my partner in crime, for the lightsaber hilt's mesh. And the mesh of the small needle in her pouch! He's learning blender himself and wanted to help out). 

Thank you all for taking your time to read everything! 

Edit: Added some beauty shots and removed the concept arty stuff, felt out of place.

Replies

• LilyNion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realized I forgot to take a proper beautyshot of the hilt itself and the shapekeys. The hilt was my first time texturing something hard surface/a weapon, and the shapekeys were beyond anything I've ever done before. Honestly, I do think the facial rig can be better, but that's for my next 3D model I suppose!

• Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Woaw ! What an artistic finesse ! It changes from what I use to see in star wars fan art, and that's an inspiring/well done piece ! Congrats =)
  • LilyNion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 said:
    Woaw ! What an artistic finesse ! It changes from what I use to see in star wars fan art, and that's an inspiring/well done piece ! Congrats =)
    I honestly just fangirled a bit. I'm such a big fan of your Star wars Redemption project and I've been staring at your work in awe for a few weeks now. Okay, time to compose myself haha. 

Thank you so much for your compliment. I suppose it really helps that I "own" this character for three years now, in which I've changed her drastically several times and finetuned her so it fits with my style. (As an example, she used to have pink hair but then I decided "megh, that's too edgy" and tadah, now she's back to blonde with a touch of pink hair dye near the end of her hair). And that allowed me to fully explore her and break away from the typical Star wars / Jedi. Okay, I'm rambling way too much out of happiness. Just, thank you, again! It means so much to me.