Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Sketching help? Time Machine Booth

node
Offline / Send Message
Kainkun node
Hello, I've been trying to learn a lot about technical 3D work but I need to focus on getting better at general design so I've been trying to sketch some concept thumbnails. This is all an idea of a Time Machine Booth. The idea was that time traveling become so common in a world that there are commercial time machines out in public like how there's vending machines or photo booths.

Any critique or tips on sketching helps. Feel free to suggest a direction I should go. I'm not sure if I should keep sketching new ideas or start narrowing down like on the second page.

This is my first page, I tried to make many different shapes and styles

I decided a few to focus more on and tried to make different versions of those.

This is all of the references I gathered before sketching. I used pureref. I didn't have a specific direction I wanted to go in so its pretty scattered.

Thanks for looking :smile:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount!

Moved your thread from General Discussion to 2D Art Showcase, where you will get the best feedback.
  • Kainkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Well, what kind of consumer device are you relating this time machine to? 

A photo booth?

A tanning salon unit?

What?

• Harley94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harley94 polycounter lvl 2
    It looks like you have a metric TON of ideas for your time machine, but your initial sketches don't show a lot of focus. I suggest beginning your design process by focusing your end goal to certain ideas and limitations. You already mentioned the idea of a time machine acting like a telephone booth, which is a great start! You can use that as a base, do some research to learn more about how a telephone booth normally looks and functions, and from there construct variations of a booth to see what's interesting, what works, and what gets your design closer to accomplishing your end goal. Not everything is going to work; this loose, quick stage is the perfect time to get the bad ideas out of the way. Good luck!
  • Kainkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kainkun node
    Thanks Harley, I thought that's what I tried, to do, most of the sketches are booth based and I have a section of reference images for booths but I guess I could have narrowed it down even more.