Home Technical Talk

How to make a clean low poly mesh?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Frigus polycounter lvl 7
Hi polycount. I'm using 3ds max 2017 for modelling. I was working on a low poly pistol model. I realized I cant make a good and clean surfaces they looks like pinching or something bad, esspecially on low poly models. What is the reason of that? How can I fix these faces? This is about triangulation or smooting groups? Or model is very low poly? (I dont think)  How to have good and clean surfaces on low poly? here is pictures.

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    That is indeed kinda lowpoly, and once you apply a normal map baked highpoly, its not going to look like this.
  • Frigus
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 7
    So you mean, there is no problem on my mesh right?
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Frigus said:
    So you mean, there is no problem on my mesh right?
    Nope, completely normal for there to be some ugly/weird looking shading. That's just how smoothing works with that amount of geometry/topology. Once you bake a normal map and apply that to it, it'll 'override' the shading in a way, and won't be as visible. 

That doesn't mean all bad shading will be fixed though, always keep an eye out and try to minimize it as much as possible :smile:

• Frigus
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your comment I will try to fix them before baking thanks.
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    These guy's definitely know what they are talking about. However, it's always good to actually see whenever you can. It may be useful then to duplicate what you've got right now, do a quick unwrap of it, create a subdivided, smoothed version, and do a bake. Just to see what's going to happen. Also to get a better idea about which spots specifically may cause an issue, and which places you don't need to invest time to. Nothing worse than spending a ton of time fixing things that aren't actually a problem, and then missing things that are!

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just to try and ease your mind. Here's part of a weapon I'm working on a the moment. As long as your silhouette looks good, matches your high poly nicely,  and you have decent triangulation then your high poly smoothing should bake down and make your low poly look almost identical.

Low poly looks like crap

Low poly looks like high poly

• Frigus
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all your answers!