Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Working on hand anatomy — feedback much appreciated.

Pjotrh
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pjotrh polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

As the title suggests I'm looking to get some feedback on this hand. Right now I want to get the basic anatomy and big shapes down. Before I move onto the small shapes and the details.       

If anyone is willing to take a look and break the hand down a bit would be great. 

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Why did you pick hand of all the other subject to study ?
    What references did you use ? your own hand ?
    Do you have distal phalange bend like that in your hand ?

Few suggestions :
    - make finger rectangular instead of tube like
    - check width of your own forearm hand and fingers
    - check thickness relation of forearm hand and fingers
    - check thumb angle against the other fingers also it shape
    - check division of fingers on palmar side also their distinct shape  [fatty cushions , tip: they should be close in length~equal ]
    - check if fingers taper root to tip
  • Pjotrh
    Offline / Send Message
    Pjotrh polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you very much for your feedback! I'll try to take your feedback and implement it as well as I can to my sculpting. I made the sculpt yesterday afternoon and coupled with some fresh eyes and a lot of helpful feedback can I see a lot of ways to improve my ability to sculpt hands.

To answer your questions in order:

- I sculpt a lot of human anatomy in my free time, have always neglected the hands(also the feet) because they take much time and I usually want to get a sculpt done in a couple of hours or at most one sitting. However, seeing as I'm working in VR development I really shouldn't be neglecting hands so much. So I decided to isolate hands for a while.

- I had a google page of hands open a second monitor, but, I mostly used my own hand. Things I did to get proportions in the right ballpark, was looking at some drawing fundamentals, as well, as using a caliper to make all sorts of measurements of my hand and compare them against each other. I did this to answer questions like; how wide my knuckles are compared to each other? How wide is my wrist and how much space do my four fingers need? So the taper of my hand should look a little like this. That was basically my workflow for this hand.

- No, I don't. And now realize that there really isn't as much smooth rotation along all the joints, but that most rotation happens at the first joint first.

I am pretty new to this forum(I do lurk from time to time), I plan on making some more post to ask for feedback because I believe that is one of the faster ways to improve.
    But I'm still not quite sure what the netiquettes here are, etiquette like at what point do post become too spammy, and how far should a sculpt be to even ask for a review? At what skill level are you expected to give feedback to others?

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to give me a bit more perspective on hand making.         
  • Pjotrh
    Offline / Send Message
    Pjotrh polycounter lvl 7

The feedback that I got here and on Reddit really help me out and I tried to implement all of that feedback as much as possible for this hand.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    This views are not very good but from what I can see :
    -fingers are longer then palm => which make knuckles crease to not have enough space
    check on your own hand knuckles crease should be roughly same length as first division of the fingers
    -hand doesn't connect correctly to the forearm [check small red drawing + your own hand ]
    -Thumb is not correct length [check red indications both distances should be equal + when you hold your thumb close to the other finger thumb tip should reach second knuckle of the index finger and distal crease of the thumb should line with knuckles cease[metacarpal phalangeal joint]  ]

• Pjotrh
    Offline / Send Message
    Pjotrh polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you very much for that feedback! It has been a while since I've been able to sculpt (my own stuff that is) so I hope this reply still comes up on your radar. Sorry about the views last time I hope these will do better. I've tried to work in, as much of your feedback as possible.

• HectorLucas
    Offline / Send Message
    HectorLucas polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Pjotrh, try to not concentrate on details right now and see the basic blocking of it. As of now it's looking a little bit like a fork. Try to exaggerate the arc of the fingers a little bit more, both on the base and the tip.
  • carvuliero