Home Technical Talk

3ds Max - I can' see the edges up close

arkaneXXI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
arkaneXXI polycounter lvl 8
I have a problem with 3ds Max. When I'm close to the object, is harder to see the edges.

Somebody knows how can I solve this?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use a User view (U key) instead of Perspective.
  • arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I forgot to say, I'm using Ortographic view, no Perspective. Because with Perspective I have a limit of zoom.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    That's a precision issue. You should model with a unit system consistent with the size of your model or scale up your object.
    For perspective, you could tweak the Viewport Clipping aswell.
    Customize/Units Setup/System Unit Setup

• arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My unit system is "milimeters". But I think will be better if I scale up the model. After all, this is the first remake of the models I'm doing for a game. I wanted to keep the scale but, since I'm doing the models again, won't be problem if I scale them up.

Thanks for the help.
  • jdellinger98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdellinger98 polycounter lvl 5
    NOTE: I hope someone can take this little bit of information and expand on it more so on the technical side. 

Press "P" (doesn't really matter but, now we are on the same view port "Perspective")

Now see the +, Perspective, Standard, Edge faces? (yours might say something different dependent on the scene)

Right click on Perspective and at the bottom it say View port clipping, check that.

If this is done right you'll see this yellow bar down the screen beside the modifier tab and steering cube with 2 yellow arrow's which you can move up and down.

I don't recall exactly how this works or what the logic is with those arrows, but essentialy; it allows you to zoom closer into objects. If you ever zoomed in and the polygons were clipping, this fixes that. If your working on something that isn't a tiny detail and need this; be sure to fix the scale before export with Unit setup and xform settings. Because if this is happening and say your building a car, your more than likely building a car smaller than a Hot wheels version.

Hope this helps at least a little
  • jdellinger98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdellinger98 polycounter lvl 5
    arkaneXXI said:
    Ah, I forgot to say, I'm using Ortographic view, no Perspective. Because with Perspective I have a limit of zoom.
    BRO HOW, I saw this after my post. Orthographic has it's use but dang. I would have such a migraine if I modeled something using only Orthographic in 3DS MAX
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    arkaneXXI said:
    BRO HOW, I saw this after my post. Orthographic has it's use but dang. I would have such a migraine if I modeled something using only Orthographic in 3DS MAX
    Modeling in orthographic is fairly commonplace, a healthy combination of both are used. Modeling in perspective for uniform things is a good way to mess up your dimensions IMO. Especially with hard surface stuff. If you are legitimately getting a migraine from ortho mode it may be worth it to hit up an eye doctor. No need to put yourself through hell for modeling.