Home Technical Talk

Maya 2018.5 student version shows me a pop up whenever i save or autosave

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Some days ago i was forced to reinstall Windows due to an update failure ( *clap *clap* Microsoft ) so i also reinstalled all my softwares.
I'm using Maya student version and i updated it to the latest 2018.5 through the Autodesk Desktop App.

The problem is that every time i save manually or when Maya saves automatically through auto save a pop up shows up saying that it is a student version etc.
In the past this pop up only showed up when i opened a student file version but not every time i save ! It is so annoying because you must press the "Continue" button every time this pop up shows up and interrupt my work.

Is this normal ? Because i never had this problem.
And if it is normal is there a work around ? Like a script that automatically press the button or disable the pop up. I tried to follow this guide but it didn't work: http://suchanspot.blogspot.com/2013/02/removal-of-student-version-file-pop-up.html

Pop up image:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, buy the full version. :)

Or switch to Blender, no popup!
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, buy the full version. :)

Or switch to Blender, no popup!
    Lol, i like that Autodesk put 10 pops up in every corner while other companies like SideFX etc. put a simple watermark in the final rendering and that's it.

I don't know if i have been bleesed all this time because i had no pop up while working until now but if there is no solution i'm forced to transfer my entire scene into another software, maybe with .fbx
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds like the root of your issue is because you are loading a scene that was saved from the student version.

This is the same warning we get when someone uses the educational version of 3ds Max to do freelance modeling for us. So we refuse it.

If you start a totally clean new scene, I bet this warning will go away.

If you're freelancing, or selling your work, then you should pay the software makers, pure and simple.

Whether you're a multinational corporation, or an individual freelancer, it still sucks not being paid for your work.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is a couple things you can do to help alleviate this big problem. 

1, press enter/return key when it pops up. Boom, goes away. So that's an extra key press to do after you hit ctrl+s. 

2. in your windows user preference settings, you can set your mouse cursor to smart-center on new windows. This usually automatically moves the cursor to the dialogue selection boxes, so in the case of autodesk's gentle reminder to not illegally use their program, all you have to do is left click after hitting ctrl+s and again, the annoying box dissappears with almost no effort on your part.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds like the root of your issue is because you are loading a scene that was saved from the student version.

This is the same warning we get when someone uses the educational version of 3ds Max to do freelance modeling for us. So we refuse it.

If you start a totally clean new scene, I bet this warning will go away.

If you're freelancing, or selling your work, then you should pay the software makers, pure and simple.

Whether you're a multinational corporation, or an individual freelancer, it still sucks not being paid for your work.
    No wait, i think that i forgot to mention something.

The project that i'm working on is not for a freelance client or any sort of paid work. It is a personal project for the portfolio that i started some time ago with the student version of Maya 2018 ( 2018.3 i think ).
    When i do freelance works or i make assets for various stores i simply buy one month of Maya license or more depending on the lenght of the project ( in case of freelance clients i buy Maya full version, in case of selling assets i simply buy one month of Maya LT ).
    And for the other softwares i have the perpetual license for all of them so there is no problem.

With that said here comes the problems: I used Maya student for over 4 years and i never got a pop up every time the scene is saved saying that i was using the student version and i needed to press "continue" every damn time.
    The only pop up that i came across was the usual pop up when you open a student file but it shows only 1 time when you open it and after that you can work normally.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a couple things you can do to help alleviate this big problem. 

1, press enter/return key when it pops up. Boom, goes away. So that's an extra key press to do after you hit ctrl+s. 

2. in your windows user preference settings, you can set your mouse cursor to smart-center on new windows. This usually automatically moves the cursor to the dialogue selection boxes, so in the case of autodesk's gentle reminder to not illegally use their program, all you have to do is left click after hitting ctrl+s and again, the annoying box dissappears with almost no effort on your part.
    Hi, so you are saying that it is always been there ? Because i used Maya student version for over 4 years and i never got that pop up when i saved my files.
    I only got that pop up when i opened another student version file.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i am saying there is an easy solution. Two in fact, that I know of. 

Maybe it's worth the time to figure out the exact circumstances causing the popup to occur where in the past it didn't. But to me, that seems like a waste of energy when I can reflexively make the thing disappear just as easy as I hit the save keys.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    The funny thing is that removing a line of code from the saved file removes the pop-up Autodesk could really just make something less horrible for people who wants to use their things.