Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First 3d sculpts.

Hey guys,

I have been sculpting a long time, but I am new to digital.  I goofed around once or twice before with zbrush and mudbox, but I'd like to get serious about learning it now.  Here are a couple roughed out heads I did in sculptris recently.  Yes, I took a photo of my screen with my cell phone.  It made sense at the time.Am I right that the next step is retopography?  Going to get zbrush, maya and a new computer soon. Thanks,

Peter

Replies

• Nandx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx polycounter lvl 6
    Please take screenshots next time haha. These actually look nice, my first attempts in 3D sculpting were horrible.

For the next step, do you mean retopology? Not really necessary imo. It does help for sculpting, but there's many different workflows you could use to go forward with these, depending on your goals. If you are going to switch to ZBrush, you have tools like Dynamesh, Zremesher etc that helps you keep working on your sculpt while giving you a nice topology (for sculpting) before jumping into maya for cleanup. It depends if your goal is to have a nice sculpt or a production ready real-time model. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    On Windows, there's a tool native there called Snipping Tool.

Use that to capture specific portions of your screen.
  • PeterMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.   I originally took these pics to text to a friend and made this post from my phone.  I'll get proper screenshots next time.  Yeah, I meant retopology. I'm sure I'll say a bunch of other stupid stuff for a while.  The long term goal is to get in the game industry as there are quite a few game companies in my area.  I realize it is competetive, but I'm okay making an ass of myself while I learn.  I want to learn everything I need to know that would make me employable.  Obviously I have a long way to go.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What do you have that you're studying from for facial anatomy and figure drawing?
  • PeterMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use a lot of reference from the old masters for figurative stuff.  Depending on what I am doing I will use different types of reference.  Obviously nature is the best.  The girl I just made from my imagination.  The basic shapes didnt turn out quite how I wanted, but these were mainly a test to figure out the "workflow."  I have been retopologizing the female head in blender.  The tutorial guy said it takes him 45 minutes.  I'm several hours in and have had quite a bit of troubleshooting.  Its a heavy learning curve for me.