Home Career & Education

Would relocating to a "hub" really help in the job hunt?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NoShape polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

I'm a 3D artist and recent graduate looking for work, problem is, there's not much where I currently live. The place I recently interned at couldn't keep me on, so I'm looking to get back into the game. I've been on the hunt for about five months now, I recognize that my portfolio does need some work, but I've been mulling over the idea of moving to where the work is.
 This alone, probably sounds very ill advised, so allow me to quickly preface this by saying it is far from being the only reason why I'm looking for a change of scenery. I'm also constantly improving upon my craft, and working on projects, so I know I'm dedicated enough to obtain the hard skills I need.
 All that said, I figured this would be the place to go and see if anyone has similar experience or insight. Is it worth considering? If so, areas I should check out?

Thanks

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I wouldn't make a big expense unless I knew for certain that I could output AAA quality art. In other words, if I can send my work to 10 currently employed senior AAA artist, and nine of them say, "yeah, you'd have no problems on our team," then I would feel confident enough to bank some risk on it. If two of them are "meh," I'd wait and keep honing my craft.

Maybe that sounds extreme, but if you take risk with your money, you can easily get into a hole that's hard to get out of. And if you are worried about grocery money, just forget anything else. Life is going to be way harder than it needs to be for an artist to have the focus they need.

Never take a risk unless you must to stay alive, or you can eat the worst possible outcome  without going down in flames. So have a meticulous plan for your money and living situation, work from current, relevant data in addition to local sources, but always find ways to maximize your potential in the right here and now. 

I haven't put much research into the big hub cities where a lot of jobs are, but from what i gather they are big expensive places. Not the kind of place I'd want to scrape a living out of without a good salaried job and something to fall back on. So if you can live on the cheap elsewhere, develop your craft to the point that people are contacting you, and meanwhile finding some low-effort ways to bring in some bacon, I think that's a less-risky plan.

I daycare dogs out of my house and also have a rental property, which earns enough income to justify me sitting at home all day practicing 3d. I mention this to illustrate what I am calling "low-effort ways to earn some income." I am sure if you really put your mind to it, you can find something that suits your needs to bring in a litlte money to help supplement time sacrificed to further training. But I also have a wife who has a really good job. That's the biggest thing. So keep an eye out for one of those. :)

Of course many people have become professional artist with much tougher situations, but you should always try to get yourself in the best possible situation as you can to do the best work you can.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'll say for LA, don't move here unless you're planning on working, games or not.

Doing a savings and burn method to live here is a dumb idea that has gotten one artist I know, from Indiana, in thousands in credit card debt.  

For game art in the US, get the job first, THEN move.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    If you do consider moving prior, you might look at more applications for 3D art such as advertising and architecture visualisation, just until you get your portfolio upto speed to apply to game companies. Networking on location also helps a great deal.

I'd also look at indie options in the area, and getting freelance work to get notoriety.

Moving to a hub does help, well atleast it helped me though I did kind of get the work first.

And moving to a location with a lot of studios helps to shuttle between them while looking for opportunities.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Moving to an area with no job lined up, and hoping to grab a gig for a specific company or field would be way too risky. If you do something like this, be open to taking any job around the area, treating it as just that, you're moving to a new area, and just focus on your 3D stuff on the side.

I think it does help if you're local or have been in the area before. I'm sure there are factors like, if your portfolio is great, but you live far away, they might be willing to give relocation assistance. If your portfolio is mediocre or just fine, and you're local, or lived in the area before? Maybe it helps?

--

I moved up around the Seattle area before, in Bothell, just to try to out. I was working remotely full-time, the company I worked for based in Illinois. When I got laid off, I wasn't willing to grab any job in the area, and ended up going back down to San Diego, CA, where I grew up.

I think I helped a bit, joining Hardsuit Labs. Don't know how to explain it correctly. I just missed it.

The job hunt, before moving to Seattle, when I was just in San Diego, CA, wasn't really much. I just stayed in or around the San Diego area. 

I think there's aomesomet to be said if someone's willing to move to a new location, either for a job or something, but just as long as you're prepared for it and handle situations if things don't go the way you want it.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Generally speaking...Yes. If you live in a hub there are a lot of opportunities and companies will like the fact that they don't need to import someone from far away and it means that when a company wants to fill a slot quickly they will look for people nearby so that they can quickly schedule an interview. Other plus is that its easier to switch jobs if you don't like the one you have. In your case I would recommend to upgrade your portfolio before you move to a hub because its a bit harder to find your "first" job and living in a hub is most of the time very expensive.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe instead of just straight out moving to a hub, you can try to find a game developers convention and just visit during that time. GDC is the big and expensive one, but you may find smaller ones too. These conventions typically will have recruiters from studios and often seem to also have portfolio review sessions too.

In the end, your success rate will always come back to the strength of your portfolio. I guess being in a hub can help since studios tend to prefer locals for their junior positions. But a hub also means that competition will be quite fierce, since there'll be a large local pool talent that studios can draw from. Like a reply said, it's a huge risk. You'll really need to shine somehow from all the competition, but even without being in a hub, that's also true anyways.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    to be honest, your portfolio isn't up to AAA quality at the moment so moving to a hub wouldn't do much for you. Sounds blunt/harsh but I am speaking from experience back in the day. If your work is good, you will have recruiters hitting you up constantly, regardless of where you live. the location thing might be a speed bump once you actually get into the application process, but until you have your email inbox getting hit up 2-3x a month from recruiters, your portfolio needs work.

there is no real secret hack to getting a job faster other than upping the quality of your portfolio. Studios are going to look for great artists and then deal with the logistics, not hire local talent that has a weak portfolio just because they are local. Just keep hammering on your portfolio dude and good things will happen.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    @PixelMasher,

do you think just posting on artstation is enough to draw attention (assuming the art has been brought up to par)? is it worthwhile to send your portfolio directly to companies, even if you don't think it's ready? just to get on their radar, so to speak? 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @NoShape Could you tell us where you plan to move to and what companies you want to apply to. This will give a good idea of what direction to take your portfolio.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    @PixelMasher,

do you think just posting on artstation is enough to draw attention (assuming the art has been brought up to par)? is it worthwhile to send your portfolio directly to companies, even if you don't think it's ready? just to get on their radar, so to speak? 
    yea I mean you can always apply, and if you start getting replies that's a sign your work is on the right track. The market will give you all the feedback you should ever need, radio silence means you need to up your game some more. personally whenever I have something to post I post it on every platform I can. Artstation, linkedin, facebook groups etc and drive traffic to either the artstation post or keep it native to each platform to maximize organic reach. most platforms hate it when you send people off their website, so a lot of the time posting an artstation link limits your organic reach. It's much better to post natively and give the platforms what they want vs what you want (probably artstation likes/followers)

but yea, just get as many eyeballs on your work as possible, cast a wide net and also be pro-active and apply for things. 
  • NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoShape polycounter lvl 4
    Been a hot minute since I've logged in here, so I'm just now catching all of this. Thanks for the feedback guys, it was pretty much around what I was expecting, but it's a relief to hear my line of thinking was on the right track. I'll keep plugging away on my work!
  • Thomas_Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas_Smith polycounter lvl 3
    Jumping in on this thread, I'm starting to plan out my desired career path. I'm currently located in Toronto. I've noticed that the bigger studios are located in Montreal & Vancouver. Any artists in the GTA who can talk about the market a bit?
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

@Thomas_Smith - I wouldn't bother with Toronto, I was there 5 years and it has possibly the worst market for Game Development for a North American city. 
    Its only marginally better than say citys that do not have a market.
    And coupled with the rising costs of housing and amenities if you're looking to settle down there, it likely won't happen.
    I personally know of only one case of a fellow artist who benefited, he worked in an arch viz company that really valued his contributions (he designed a custom unreal 4 based program for arch viz for them). But this is rare.

Again peoples priorites are different, I know of several artists that regardless of the quality of their work lead pretty solitary lives or jump from place to place looking for work.

With Toronto it was just harder to get a foot in the door, or rather a foothold of some sort and be truly satisfied, atleast for me.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @PixelMasher,

I would recommend sending your portfolio directly to companies, or atleast to recruiters that represent some companies.
    This can help a lot when starting out.
    It would really help to get your portfolio vetted through some qualified professionals here on polycount or through pm prior to sending it out to recruiters.

Radio silence on your work doesn't necessarily always mean that you're not up to par.

I mean in a sense it does, if its naughty dog or such you're applying for, senior character artist positions mad lot of people competing for this and they contract a lot of work overseas, takes a while to get their attention.

It could also be the market your targeting, My star trek work for instance got a lot of attention from star trek fans and freelance work with fan team as well. 

On a lighter note have you read this thread,
    https://polycount.com/discussion/181906/artstation-and-tits/p1
     one may be inclined to make a character with huge tits just for the hits.

When I was in toronto it was challenging to get the attention of companies I was over qualified for, atleast from what they were asking and who they ultimately hired that I was clearly overqualified.

And it was mad difficult to get eyes on the artstation portfolio from companies in toronto, those poor sods are bombarded with 1000's of applications every week from people who aren't qualified but apply any way because why not.
    And this is a hub, just not with many companies to apply to.

When I changed my location to Montreal Quebec after moving to montreal the offers poured in, so either the people in Toronto had really high standards that I couldn't match (Though I was getting freelance work from overseas) or my portfolio mysteriously got better during the move.

If there is a specific company that you're trying to get into, then yes there is a specific sort of portfolio with work you'd need.
    If you are looking for a job, every company has different needs and circumstances that can influence the hiring process.