Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DT-45: Scifi Military Police Sidearm

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hi all!

This is a project I've been working on for the past week in my spare time. I tried to hit a higher quality bar than I did on my last project. Critique welcome!

Some stats for the models and textures:

Pistol
Tris: 14,048
4k texture

Laser
Tris: 808
1k texture

Muzzle
Tris: 1,536
2k texture

Total
Tris: 16,392

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Awesome. Really well thought out design with the trigger identity check. Looks slick. I hope if this ever ends up in a game it has a double-whammy mode.
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks @BIGTIMEMASTER !

I played around with making the actual laser beam. I added a power button and some fingerprints, and I changed some wear in some places.

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Nice progress, I would suggest to work a bit more on the plastic pistol grip, it could use a bit more love.
  • IgPerish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IgPerish polygon
    I didn't see the concept, but as for me, these slide part, grip's bottom and front muzzle part look quiet unrealistic and plastic.
    If u want them to keep plastic, it would be better to add roughness and color variation to it, to break such uniform look. If they should be metal, - then you should add edge wear a bit and work on these scratches, to make them show the bare metal underneath. You have good metals on the barrel and ejection port, so you can use them as a base. 
    Also that black metal on barrel and gas cylinder looks too clean. Maybe, add some scuffs, so as it was damaged, while the slider moves. AS for me, such dark paint for these parts looks also urealistic. I think, it's better to take your metal material from the ejector point and darken it, so it still remains metal, but with darker tone. Do not use pure black or even grayscale color - add a bit red or blue for the base. And then you can add some color variation.
    The last thing is the grip. Add some wear and tear to it: u can put same material without height and lighter color and add an edge wear.
    But,you did really a nice work!
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    @Zi0 Thanks for the critique! I agree. I've tried to add some color variation to the base plastic with these revised textures. I also added a little wear in the form of scratches in the plastic and roughness variation, as well as some dirt on the white grip areas. 

@IgPerish Thank you for the extensive critique! The original concept was along the lines of a mass-produced future firearm. I intended most parts to be plastic due to the high quantity of units that would be produced. I agree with you though, I think all the pieces you mentioned aren't quite there for me either in terms of realism. I've tried to make all the white parts a plastic-coated metal now with worn edges. I also tinted previously greyscale metals a slight blue and added some wear to the outsides of them. Here are my reworked textures.

Still to clean? One of my learning goals with this project was to improve my material definition and texturing skills, so I really appreciate the advice in that area.

Thank you all for the critiques, I welcome more! :smile:
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Nice progress, I would make the damage on the pistol grip a bit more subtle. You should make the slide a bit interesting as well it could use more less uniform damage. The weapons I'm posting below have similar color schemes as your pistol so I am adding them for reference.

• Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback and reference! The further I dug into the Infinite Warefare weaponry, the more I noticed the grip wear was more "spread out" and subtle like you recommended. I tried to mimic that in the new images. I also noticed some micro-patterns on the surfaces of some of the weapons, so I've added a hex pattern to the roughness channel for the white pieces. I also took that burned steel from the first image you posted and tried to implement something similar onto the barrel and gas cylinder.