Home Technical Talk

[Fusion 360] Viewport controls from other 3D packages

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
degrathy polycounter lvl 8

UPD(2024): I am still surprised that this thing is still being downloaded. After years of working in industry I think that you should just accept that fusion has it's own hotkeys for moving camera and scripts like this doesn't really help much especially how weird it's working.  :# But I will keep it as is if it's helping someone.

Hey guys, just made a quick research about the ways of how to change viewport control settings for Fusion 360 and realized that it can't be possible inside fusion. So I decided to found other ways through macros and scripts.

I compiled it through open-source autohotkey scripting language
Basically, it's just override controls when fusion's window is active in windows OS. And I suppose that it's not breaking up something because you don't really change anything in Fusion 360.

You can find default camera controls setups for MayaBlender and 3DS Max.

You don't have to actually install anything, it's gonna be just a small application on background.
Also you can always close it and open if Fusion 360 was running, it doesn't really matter.
And I suppose you can even add it to autorun in windows so you gonna forget about those uncomfortable CAD controls.

Because it's basically just overrides buttons it has a small delay, if you are using softwares really quickly and pushing buttons like crazy, then you would probably feel uncomfortable, but it's better then nothing.

By the way, i want to thank @Swordslayer for showing his code for 3DS Max viewport controls and that's just how i find out more about that.
Thanks for checking this out. Hope it would be helpful for someone.

A tip you might have missed.

There is a quick way to accept all operations. On right click menu and on the right side there is "OK" button just for that.

Download
Gumroad - https://gum.co/CTVq

Installation:

All you have to do is to run exe file for your preferred software.
It's gonna open a little autohotkey software that's gonna send to fusion window proper control inputs.
You can always close it or pause scripts through this icon.

Setup in Fusion 360

To make sure that it's gonna work properly:
Go in preferences. It's hided here on right top corner.

And go in "General" and change «Pan, Zoom, Orbit Shortcuts» and change it to «Solidworks»
So all hotkeys gonna work as planned.

Also in here you can inverse zoom direction and change orbit camera type if you want.

If you want to make some changes or see if you can do more with that, it's actually easy.
Here is code for every software.

Maya setup controls:

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Fusion360.exe

; zoom
Alt & RButton:: Send, {LShift Down} & {MButton Down}
Alt & RButton Up:: Send, {LShift Up} & {MButton Up}
; pan
Alt & MButton:: Send, {LCtrl Down} & {MButton Down}
Alt & MButton Up:: Send, {LCtrl Up} & {MButton Up}
; rotate
Alt & LButton:: Send, {MButton Down}
Alt & LButton Up:: Send, {MButton Up}