Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Painter / Original Character Critique

Hi Polycount, 

I've been studying and working in the 3D industry for many years now, but I'm trying for the first time to do a full real-time character from A-Z. I decided to try making a character based on a drawing I did many years ago (to simulate a sort of production environment and try to remain faithful to an idea), which isn't the greatest design I'll admit but I thought it'd be fun in any case. 

I did the sculpt in ZBrush, doing the retopo and rigging in Maya, and textures in Substance Painter. I'm pretty new to Painter so I was hoping to get some advice. 

Here are some initial renders (done in iray, which I quite like, but I'd like to know if there are other tools I should use and why. Arnold? Keyshot? Marmoset?) It really looks like a toy to me, which is kind of cute but not intentional. I'd like to know if anyone has any advice for making it look more like a life-sized character? Maybe I should try avoiding realistic materials for a cartoony character like this? 

I also personally feel like the body texture, which was painted by hand, isn't quite working. But I'm not sure what to do to improve it either. 

Thanks for any and all help!

p.s. didn't get to the scarf yet but I'll do it in Marvelous this week.

Replies