Home Technical Talk

[Help] Animation - 3DS Max to Blender setup?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I have an engine that only has an exporter/importer made with Blender (don't ask, long story), and the raw files are available also only in Blender (the rigs, the model setup, everything).

Now the problem is, I'm not able to get the Rig animation setups (IK and Handlers) in Blender properly (old school issues) since they use an older version of Blender.

So is there a way to transfer rigs and animations between Blender and Max? I tried FBX, but it seems like the rig/amature explodes all over the place when imported in Max from Blender, plus importing it back only makes the issues worse?

Cheers!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FBX only supports FK rigs I think. So, see if there's a way to "bake" the rig into a standard forward hierarchy in Blender. 

I don't think you can transfer a fully-functioning rig from Blender to Max, or really between any two programs. They all operate with different rules. All you would get is the baked animation, acting somewhat like motion capture, just a set of raw keyframes that are difficult to edit.