Home Adobe Substance

Substance painter normal map bake problem

tgm79
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
Hello,
I did a basic model of a coin in Maya, then added some details in Zbrush to test my normal map creation knowledge. When I baked the normal map in Substance painter it didn't come out quite correct.
Some details are there but not all of them. Then I baked the normal map in Xnormal and it turned out as expected.

I changed the initial settings to OpenGL, but that didn't fix the problem. I increased the max frontal and max rear distance and still doesn't work. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did you try increasing the max frontal distance in the common baker settings?
  • tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    Jerc said:
    Did you try increasing the max frontal distance in the common baker settings?
      Yes. Tried even with maximum possible setting.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Just as a baseline test,  try setting frontal to 0.5 and rear to 0.01 with relative to bounding box enabled.

If that doesn't work I usually start to look at mesh or UV issues as being the culprit
  • tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4
    poopipe said:
    Just as a baseline test,  try setting frontal to 0.5 and rear to 0.01 with relative to bounding box enabled.

If that doesn't work I usually start to look at mesh or UV issues as being the culprit
    Alright, I finally managed to make it work. It seems the problem was caused by my cage file mostly. When I disabled the cage file and baked using only max frontal set to 0.085 and rear set to 0.01 the details appeared as desired. Thanks once again poopipe, you are truly helpful.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Amusingly I got my numbers the wrong way round in that post.  Usually I start with rear at 0.5 and front at 0.01

If you have a cage enabled those numbers mean nothing as they're overridden by the cage distances

For an asset like this a cage is unnecessary though