Home Technical Talk

first time retopologizing

suwhan
node
Offline / Send Message
suwhan node
Hello, everyone!

I have a 3D character ready (for gaming), I'm about to retopologize but have a quick question before I start.

My question is, do you retopologize the eyeballs separately and then bridge the eyes (and the model) together after (making the eye sockets watertight and then adding the eyeball in the socket)? Or, do I retopo everything as one model? Or, do I retopo the figure and eyeballs separately and keep them as two different layers/subtools for the entire process (xyz texturing, detailing and substance painter).

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    as usual. it depends

there is no definite answer, as this comes down to YOUR needs.

nowadays unless its some mobile title its very unlikely that you would mesh the eyeballs and eyesockets together. if it is anything current gen you'd treat eyeballs and head as seperate elements. in many productions eyeballs even are on a seperate texture sheet using a seperate shader.
  • suwhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suwhan node
    Hello, Neox,

thank you for taking the time to answer. So in most instances, would you keep the eyeballs and figure on different layers/sub-tools and deliver it this way to the VFX team? Also, would you recommend making the tear duct into a third sub-tool?

Thanks again!