Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Gateway to the Guilds

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Lurcisia greentooth
Hey Polycount! Just finished this environment for my last class of the semester.

Based off of the concept by Jedd Chevrier: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/onJlm

Environment modeled in Maya and textured in Substance Painter & Designer. 
Trees are done in SpeedTree, background buildings material from Quixel Bridge, everything else is me.

I did a version that was more accurate to the concept, and another that is more vibrant and that I found more aesthetically pleasing.

I'd love some constructive criticism!

Find more images here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bale1v

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    The vibrant one is really cool, it has a painted kind of look to it. Id maybe add a bit of that distance fog back, the buildings in the background come across a bit bright imo, it makes them stand out a little too much. Really nice work though :)
  • Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    Doxturtle said:
    The vibrant one is really cool, it has a painted kind of look to it. Id maybe add a bit of that distance fog back, the buildings in the background come across a bit bright imo, it makes them stand out a little too much. Really nice work though :)

Thank you!!
  • Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    I'm thinking perhaps on having the same atmosphere at the first image, but with a bit more vibrancy like the second. Any thoughts?
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The biggest thing that jumps out to me between your 3d version and the concept is the sense of scale of the main circular structure. By reducing the number of window holes wrapping around the cylinder you've made the structure feel less grand. Its a lot of little things you've done differently that add up to the scale feeling off.

Definitely add some more geo to the arches in the dead center of the image.
  • Lurcisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    The biggest thing that jumps out to me between your 3d version and the concept is the sense of scale of the main circular structure. By reducing the number of window holes wrapping around the cylinder you've made the structure feel less grand. Its a lot of little things you've done differently that add up to the scale feeling off.

Definitely add some more geo to the arches in the dead center of the image.
    I didn't even notice! thank you, i'll do that!