Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Designer Journey

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
royor node
Introduction: I'm Roy and I live in the Philippines, working as a lighting designer/consultant not in the game but more on construction, and hoping that someday I could land a dream job for a video game company.

I Started using Substance Designer a few weeks ago and this thread will be my polydiary for substance. I am a complete beginner.

I am looking for criticism and also help me improve my skills at using this tool.

#1 Substance
my first ever substance! look great? it is no hahaha. I was disappointed so I stop. then.
#2 Substance
I build the 2nd material from watching the guy doing his speed video. the result maybe good for me. but more importantly my feeling about this software? man it was lovely I really love to dig on those node it's like a puzzle.

#3 Substance
this is really messy until one day after doing the 6th substance I figured out I can make lots and lots of sbs and just add output node so that I have no spaghetti like this.
#4 Substance
a bit lost here. and.
I make a dried one and the bottom is wet and muddy.

#5 Substance
this is the 2nd iteration from #4 since I'm not satisfied on the first version. also i made some variation.

version 1 of #6 substance.

version 2 of #6 substance.
#6 substance. and this is still work-in-progress and need more improvements!

my favor guys do you have any simple node reference for making nice leaves, branches or any part of the tree? because the leaves on the #6 is kind a bit flat. thank you. 

Replies

• royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    I finish my substance designer material #6.

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Nice job, there is a clear improvement over time. Although the brick and snow substance looks surprisingly worse than the previous ones. 
    The "pavement and muddy soil" looks great although the sticks could maybe be lowered a bit to better hide the height "cheat".

One minor thing is that you could make it clearer which substance is which by adding another empty line below "#n Substance", its a bit unclear if the "#n Substance" is the one above or below.
  • royor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    royor node
    CybranM said:
    Nice job, there is a clear improvement over time. Although the brick and snow substance looks surprisingly worse than the previous ones. 
    The "pavement and muddy soil" looks great although the sticks could maybe be lowered a bit to better hide the height "cheat".

One minor thing is that you could make it clearer which substance is which by adding another empty line below "#n Substance", its a bit unclear if the "#n Substance" is the one above or below.
    first thank you for noticing that, for the snow I just end up testing that parameter same with water I just enjoy them but never intended it to really push for that design maybe a small demonstration out of curiousity.

I struggle a lot on those so many element its hard to color them without affecting the others honestly as of the moment as a beginner that is the one I'm really weak of how I can really blend different color for different element, if there is a tutorial of how to blend different color node for different element that would be very greatful.