Home Technical Talk

[Photoshop and Zbrush] How do I match document size for a tileable texture

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MBauer17 greentooth
Hello all,  

Those of you who are familiar with the "Fanny Vergne" method of tiling knows that she utilizes screencaps of various zbrush matcaps as seen below (this is a free tutorial found on her gumroad)

This is the same method she uses to create tiling textures. 

Now my question involves scaling to size my zbrush images with my actual baked images.  For example, as seen below are two textures: the decimated high poly with the white matcap and  on the left the AO texture baked onto a single 1024 plane. How can I perfectly match my BPR render with my 1024x1024 tile?  I am struggling try to match up the zbrush texture with the baked textures I made.

The only clue I have from her tutorials is that she uses rulers to mark her tiling area on her BPR render. 

Replies

• MBauer17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    I should note that scaling the BPR does not work in this case -- I've tried simply scaling out the smaller image with the transformer tool but it's almost like it's at a different scaling ratio than the bakes. 
  • Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Heya, since you are baking your texture onto a plane this is (probably) going to be quite easy.

1- Set your Zbrush scene resolution to a value similar to your bakes, i.e. 1024x1024 (you can do this under the documents tab)
    2- Import your plane into the Zbrush scene
    3- Select the plane and press F to centre the camera on it
    4- Export it as image, and you're done! (also under the document tab)