Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] White Tower - UE4

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
TheGabmeister interpolator
Hi guys. Just wanted to share a personal project of mine, a fantasy castle in Unreal Engine based on a concept by SnowSkadi:

This was my second time creating a scene in UE4. I'm still in the process of learning the great amount of features this engine can offer you. My primary goal for this project was to learn how to use the fog system in Unreal, and it turned out, there was a lot more to learn. Also, I decided early on to create only the exterior because including the interior would take too much time. Anyway, I really wanted to explore more of UE4's features, utilize them someday in a future project, and share my findings with the community.

I made a detailed blog where I elaborate the process on how the scene was assembled. You can check it out here:

I'll post some of the screenshots from the blog here so you can see.

A screenshot of the background so you can see how the cloud particles, sky sphere, exponential height fog, and water plane all interact with each other to form a really interesting effect:

Here's a GIF I prepared for you showing the steps I did in creating the scene:

The materials I created for the scene:

A summary of the steps I did to assemble the scene:
1. Blocking / White Boxing
2. Importing the Mesh into Unreal Engine
3. Adding a Sky sphere
4. Adding a Water Plane
5. Putting the tower into place and matching the perspective
6. Adding Directional light and skylight. Baking lighting.
7. Adding an Exponential Height Fog
8. Adding some clouds
9. Creating the detailed mesh, adding materials, UV mapping. Rebaking lights in UE4.
10. Adding decals, reflection capture, and supplementary lights
11. Adding Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) Post FX
12. Lastly, adding Bloom and Depth of Field Post FX

In terms of rooms for improvement, I believe that the materials can still be enhanced. My Texture creation skill is an area that is lagging behind my modeling and lighting skills. You might notice that the castle walls look a bit too plain, and some of the window mirrors don't look convincing. It's possible to add more decals to the castle walls to show more deterioration and make it look like it stood the test of time. Creating convincing decals, however, is an area that I haven't studied thoroughly yet. Maybe in a future project I will dedicate more time in improving the materials.

Replies