Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KA-BAR photo realistic knife modeling and rendering

triangle
Offline / Send Message
maju3d triangle
This is realistic looking asset creation of KA-BAR knife. I studied a lot of reference images to understand the structure of used and old leather , wood and painted metal materials.It was also a realistic image rendering pipeline study between substance painter and keyshot. I hope I am successful on goal.

Replies

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    the leather is really well-done man. great job.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The paint on the blade is my main issue with this. It looks low res compared to the fabric beneath the knife and to the leather holster. Also, random scratches and uniform edge wear looks procedural. The metal protection thing on the handle is too pristine, apart from some very thick oil marks. You could add some grime and dirt accumulation in the crevices for grounding and realism.
    Also, the wood looks fake because the edge wear. It looks like it has a thick layer of paint on it. If you look at wood scratches and wear, the depth change is linear and smooth, not abrupt unless its painted.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I saw this on Artstation, great job. I agree with @teodar23 comments. The leather does look good, but the blade seems to be far from what the ref is (what I have found anyways.

I outlined four points that might help
    1 - The iron oxide need to look more to the image. I would get this on there first, then work on the damage. And the iron oxide parts  will damage differently than normal steel.
    2 - The edge, try to keep it as much as possible, these knives are well used, but very well taken care of by Marines. The leather is OK as it's leather and it looks better all worn :)
    3 - The leather rings, I would imagine these to be more pronounced pattern than what you have, it is a distinct characteristic for this knife.
    4 - The wear on the blade just doesn't match up to iron oxide, also it seems overly done.

Again, great job ^^

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The blade looks like it has been trough lot and the surface looks very rough, its getting closer to rock then metal.
  • Apofex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apofex node
    Very realistic image. You are successful on goal)
    P.S. Please, edit the ArtStation link.
  • Maddog4america
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddog4america polycounter lvl 5
    blades are hard to model.  nice stuff