Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jurassic Explorer [Fan environment of the park from Jurassic World]

node
This year i completed Season 2 of my fan project 'Jurassic Explorer'. Many new locations were created for the new season but many locations from Season 1 were improved and optimized such as Mainstreet. 
This environment is by far the most complex and detailed environment i'v made to date. It's the largest location i'v worked on in terms of asset density and surprisingly it now runs at an average 120 fps thanks to many optimization techniques i'v learned this year in Unity. 
Mainstreet is packed full to the brim with unique props replicated straight from the movie's sets. Every detail in this vast complex park has been recreated by myself right down to the trees which were modeled in SpeedTree.
I'm very proud of Mainstreet as it remains one of my most ambitious projects to date, taking roughly a year to complete. Be sure to explore it yourself.

Explore this environment and many more in our free fan game Jurassic Explorer and of course please let me know your thoughts bellow.
https://gamejolt.com/games/JurassicExplorer/267818 

Replies

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice set up. Were you going for a stylized or cartoonish look?
    Does the "ARCADE" sign have a gradient on it? It looks off. Maybe remove it or make it very light.
    This almost looks like something I would see in the Lego serioes, Sim city, or City Skylines.

Also, to note, your name's hard to read on those images. That and the job title. They might be too big. If you're planning to keep those, I'd recommend scaling them down, and having it so that it's at least readable. It might be the gradient bar behind it that's throwing it off.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah I'd suggest throwing a white outline around your letters. I feel a little bit of grunge would help create immersion.
  • atomicpang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomicpang node
    Nice set up. Were you going for a stylized or cartoonish look?
    Does the "ARCADE" sign have a gradient on it? It looks off. Maybe remove it or make it very light.
    This almost looks like something I would see in the Lego serioes, Sim city, or City Skylines.

Also, to note, your name's hard to read on those images. That and the job title. They might be too big. If you're planning to keep those, I'd recommend scaling them down, and having it so that it's at least readable. It might be the gradient bar behind it that's throwing it off.
    Thanks for the suggestions. 
    The park and its buildings/props are all based on the movies set so i didn't have too much control when it came to things such as the "ARCADE" gradient since it's that way in the movie. I believe the set designers made the arcade very kid friendly and colourful to match that style you're describing (LEGO, Sim City, ect)

As for the art style, i absolutely was going for a sort of blend/inbetween from "Cartoony" and "Realistic". The colours spesifically are very vibrant and bright to try to match the feeling of being a kid in a park.

The name suggestions i noticed myself after uploading. The text is usually white but when exporting i guess something happened to make my name grey, so that mixed with the black fade gives it a really weird effect. I'll fix it this afternoon! 

Some images of the other locations in the game starting with the classic original park 1993.
    This environment with all of its props, setup and gameplay took around 4 weeks to complete from start to finish which is very quick compared to the time it took other locations. The final result lets you explore the classic 1993 park from the original movie in stunning detail. Figuring out the most accurate layout and filling the environment with trees i made in SpeedTree took the longest time but i'm really happy with the final result, especially during sunset.

One of the more famous locations from the game that many people know is the Mosasaur Arena.
    This large arena can seat over 2,000 guests and is the perfect viewing platform for the Mosasaurus feeding show. The model took me about two days to complete as its mainly made up of repetitive parts and east to model components. Despite this, it's still quite a complex looking model and is easily one of the most iconic buildings in the park.

And the final post for today is of an original location i designed myself for our Shop System.
    This shop was a really fun and interesting environment to design, its one of the few locations in the game that isn't based on a location from the movie but rather is our own creation. The cartoon dna strand 'Mr.DNA' owns this shop so i wanted to make sure the shops design felt in line with the character, right down to the three blue, pink and yellow colour scheme. The character himself is literally a cartoon so i also approached texturing in a more cartoony style. It features a corner display with a rotating helix centerpiece, a radio that plays the shop music and a variety of items on display for the customer to view.

• atomicpang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomicpang node
    Thank you guys for the feedback. 

Made some slight (but important) adjustments and additions to my portfolio. Feels more streamline and polished now. The bottom name display bar is also totally revamped to be more subtle and clear. https://www.artstation.com/atomicpang