Home Technical Talk

Which Display Graphics Tablet to buy

Sear
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sear polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, I am hoping the clever people here will have the experience to help me out. What would you recommend out of these 3 tablets: XP-Pen Artist 22 pro, XP-Pen Artist 16 Pro or Huion Kamvas gt220 v2. I ask because they are all the same price and I do not know which one to get.. :D

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    If the pricetag on a Cintiq prevents it from being an option, I would recommend just sticking with an Intuos as a game artist. The off-brands have so many driver issues they can only be reliably used with major 2D software they were explicitly made and tested for, like Photoshop or Coral.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    My knockoff monoprice one works with photoshop, Zbrush, manga studio, substance painter, maya, sketchbook Pro and the Windows ink apps I made myself.
    It has its quirks and the build quality isn't up to wacom but given that I can buy nearly three years worth of car insurance with the money saved it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make and I'd much rather use it than any of my intui (I assume that's the plural) 
    Don't write them off
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    XP-Pen Artist 16 Pro
    i voted for the xp pen 16 because i have a 15.6 and it works perfectly fine in all software. i was considering a large 22 inch but after receiving it i quickly realized that would have just been way too big for my needs.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I'm a brand gnostic creature of habit, so an Intuos Pro is my weapon of choice which is comparatively priced coupled with bundled feature set to those devices listed in your poll.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I have an XP-Pen Artist 15.6 and overall I'm satisfied with it.
    Its worked fine with every app I've tried it with (including ZBrush, Photoshop, Krita, SAI, and a few others). The pressure curve could be more customizable, and stylus buttons can't have per-app functions, but otherwise I'm fairly happy with the software side of things.
    I did have some issues recently which turned out to be due to the cord, but XP-Pen sent me a new one (I am still within warranty) and that seems to have fixed it.

Now about what Zack said above; I don't agree at all. I used a non-screen based Monoprice tablet that worked very well for several years, and which I liked more then my Intuos 3 (which I eventually just gave away). When the Monoprice tablet eventually died about maybe 2 years ago I chose to get the latest Intuos Pro as I wanted to use the tilt functionality, but now with the XP-Pen my Wacom is collecting dust, again. Wacom is not the be-all end-all of tablets they once were.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I've tried all the knock offs, except Xp and they all wound up going to recycling. They do not last, they have driver issues, they stylus's are cheap and uncomfortable, and the colors are inconsistent. They just are not worth it.  Honestly I find spending money on a good monitor with amazing color and a solid wacom to be the best option. Sacrificing color accuracy and range just so you can draw on the screen is a step back wards imo.
  • Sear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for all the comments guys it has been informative :). I understand people's points but I really want to be able to draw on the screen.. :D. I have an old wacom intuos 3 and I just haven't used it in years because I am willing to sacrifice the amazingness of digital art to draw on paper. I am not sure why but I have always found it really uncomfortable to draw on the tablet and look up at a monitor.

Based on the comments it looks like the xp-pen 16 is the way to go if I want a display tablet so I think that is what I will go for :).

I would love a Wacom Cintiq but yeah.. I am not paying that price for anything that doesn't have an engine :D

@PolyHertz your comment is particularly helpful as you say it works with Zbrush which is a major thing I was worried about so thank you.
  • appahchristian2
    XP-Pen Artist 22 Pro
    Personally I recommend the fist one, because not so long time ago I found the same one on https://jiji.ng and think this is the perfect one for me. The graphic is cool and the price was not hight  o:)