Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Soul Calibur 2 Eurydice Shrine Remake - UE4 Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
NoShape polycounter lvl 4
Hey y'all,

Been working on remaking a stage from Soul Calibur 2, and figured I ought to post some progress here!
I originally wanted to remake the whole stage and toss it in UE4, but I think I want to cut it in half so I can actually finish it. I decided to remake this stage in particular because I'm relatively new to environment work, and I could roughly approximate how to put it together myself. I've got most of the wall sections baked out, ready for to be textured, but everything else is rough.
I suppose I'm looking some feedback/critique if anyone can offer any, but I think that's about the long and short of it.

Thanks!

Reference:

WIP:

Replies

• NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick screencap from painter of the wall so far. I experimented with painting some insets like in the reference, and it looked a bit off. It looks pretty basic right now, but I think I'll try my hand at it again and see where that gets me on this.

I also have some bakes here for the other sections of the wall. I think they look alright, but I figure it couldn't hurt to post 'em and see if anyone catches something I don't

• garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey, good choice. I remember that map :smile:
    Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
  • NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been pretty busy, so it has been a real hot minute since I've updated this

Anyways, I worked on textures for this wall segment, but you'll notice I'm missing a section of the wall. I've provided the references for the original PS2 version and the PS3 remaster, so maybe someone can hazard a guess as to what either of them are supposed to look like. After doing a bit of research, I have not got the slightest. I think what I'm gonna have to do is a little bit of free styling for that segment. Consistent of course with the rest of the architecture of course, but as long as it involves some degree of visual gibberish it should be solid. Gonna finish the midsection and work on the columns next. 

I also think I've decided on cutting the stage in half as well, just so I can finish it. I've been pretty short on time lately, and I'm thinking that might be the way to go if I want to finish the project.

(UE4 screencap)

(Iray render)

(Reference)

• NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!

Finished that midsection, the roof, and did some rough textures for the columns. The roof looks a little small to me though, so I think I'll be tweaking it a bit. Next thing I'm gonna work on would be the little weapon shrine deal off to the left, and then dig into designer to create a material for the floor!

• NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Finally coming back to this project with an update.

I finished the remaining bit of the roof, and started working on the floor. One thing I'm having an issue with right now is getting tessellation to work correctly on the floor. It works well enough in the material editor's preview, but it appears flat in the scene. I've spent some time messing with it, and asking some friends on discord about what's going on, but I'm not sure at the moment. I may have to come back to the floor later, and worst case scenario, possibly just model it out, but I'd really prefer to figure this out.

(material editor preview)

(material in scene)

(current WIP shot)
  • HectorLucas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HectorLucas polycounter lvl 2
    This was my favourite map in the game. It was very refreshing to be there for some reason. If you can get the mood and the lighting right it can look amazing. Can't wait to see it finished! :)
  • NoShape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HectorLucas Thank you so much! You're dead on with the lighting, I've been messing with it, and it's definitely the hardest bit to nail so far, but it'll definitely help sell it. It was one of my favorite stages too, so I hope I can do it justice!