Home Technical Talk

Need advice procedural materials with no uv directly in Arnold or substance with uv

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I need some advice regarding material creation for a pre rendered scene that I'm making in Maya that will be rendered with Arnold. My goal is to create a beauty render. 

I was thinking about the workflow to use to create materials for the scene, I usually do a proper uv workflow where I make the materials inside substance but I also read that some people make procedural materials directly inside Arnold without the need to uv map the meshes.
This would be a time saver because the scene will have a lot of props with a lot of details. 

So what I'm asking is some advice regarding these 2 workflows, is it better to properly uv the meshes and make the materials in substance or using only procedural materials with no uvs is also good?
And what are the downside of the latter ( aside from text placement ) ? 

Replies

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    is the mesh gona move ? I suggest watching Avrid Scheneider's channel. Full of useful Arnold tips and tutorials. Might help you. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1KDwEVBlxr4ew7xqLOhu9g

my 2 cents

Procedural is great for giving variations, good for texturing and shading large amount of assets without having to spend lots and lots of hours. Triplanar node is great for hard surface objects.

downside is it takes a lot of tweaking to get the right look. Scene can get  confusing the more nodes you add ontop.

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the mesh gona move ? I suggest watching Avrid Scheneider's channel. Full of useful Arnold tips and tutorials. Might help you. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1KDwEVBlxr4ew7xqLOhu9g

my 2 cents

Procedural is great for giving variations, good for texturing and shading large amount of assets without having to spend lots and lots of hours. Triplanar node is great for hard surface objects.

downside is it takes a lot of tweaking to get the right look. Scene can get  confusing the more nodes you add ontop.

No it will be a static render and thanks for the link to Avrid channel, it has good stuff.

I think that at the the end i will texture the props inside Painter because i already have a lot of materials and smart materials in my library so it will probably be faster this way instead of creating procedural materials inside Arnold from scratch every time and it also gives me more customization options.
    For other meshes where i need displacement or particular reflections i will make the materials directly inside Arnold probably.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also make procedural materials in Substance Designer, and assign them in Maya, assuming you can mix Substance into your Arnold materials.

We do this a lot where I work, except with 3ds Max and V-Ray, but the same basic concept. Mostly we can get away with procedural mix masks, requiring few hand-painted details.

If we need localized detail, like specific wear patterns, we use vertex painted masks, or we use quickie masks painted into an automatic UV atlas, painted with Viewport Canvas (3ds Max's built-in 3d paint tool).

We do use tiling textures a lot more than procedurals though, so decent UVs are still very important for us. As onionhead_o noted, procedurals do take a lot of tweaking to get realistic results, and that takes time. Time probably better spent making decent UVs!

Anyhow hope that helps.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also make procedural materials in Substance Designer, and assign them in Maya, assuming you can mix Substance into your Arnold materials.

We do this a lot where I work, except with 3ds Max and V-Ray, but the same basic concept. Mostly we can get away with procedural mix masks, requiring few hand-painted details.

If we need localized detail, like specific wear patterns, we use vertex painted masks, or we use quickie masks painted into an automatic UV atlas, painted with Viewport Canvas (3ds Max's built-in 3d paint tool).

We do use tiling textures a lot more than procedurals though, so decent UVs are still very important for us. As onionhead_o noted, procedurals do take a lot of tweaking to get realistic results, and that takes time. Time probably better spent making decent UVs!

Anyhow hope that helps.
    Thanks for the reply, i actually never tried to mix substances in Arnold so i will try it out.

Regarding UV vs procedurals i think that, time wise, i will probably make UVs for the meshes to apply textures and substance materials on them.
    Maybe i can use procedural materials with no UVs for background object or the most simplest one that doesn't require hours of tweaking so some sort of mixed workflow.