Home Technical Talk

Maya LT 2018 - Separate makes subgroups inside subgroups inside subgroups

SiegePerilous
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
Is there a way I can turn this off?

Every time I separate an object into two objects with Separate or when using Extract (just tried Extract as an alternate to try to circumvent this problem) the related object becomes 2 objects as desired, but unfortunately each new object is now part of a new subgroup with those two objects as the contents.

If I want to iterate quickly and break and remerge objects I end up with a clusterfudge of tiered subgroups with my objects hidden deep inside with generic names (not that the search function seems to work well either). Then you have to track down and drag out those objects to the group level you want and delete history so you can then delete the subgroup you didn't want...EVERY time. This makes iterating in Maya extremely frustrating.

Nobody I have been able to ask can tell me how to prevent these subgroups from being created. Separate doesn't have an option square next to it to try to deselect this behavior. I also don't see an option to change this in the Extract options.

This seems like a no-brainer option to be able to turn off. This must be infuriating to other people as well. I can only guess this action is demanded by Maya for some sort of nodes/transforms/history tracking purposes?

Thanks!

Replies