Home Technical Talk

New to modeling for games

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
dm3d polycounter lvl 3
I am at a stage where I have finished my high poly sculpt and I want to start "re-topo" and model for low poly. From my research online, it appears there are really 2 forms of low poly modeing, modeling for pc/console games and modeling for mobile apps. Correct me if I am wrong.. 

Anyhow, I am curious what your guys opinions are. 

For PC/Console would you retopo each object individually? and for Mobile games try to model one full plane? I tried to illustrate this idea with some overlays on the roof.

Thanks for reading and I will greatly appreciate a response. 

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I would retopo them into planes, but may divide it up depending on budget in case there's some vertex painting material. A few of the individual bricks can be added as separate objects too if you want the silhouette.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi, well this comes down to your tri budget, texel density and type of asset hero prop etc. multi mesh object can also be for mobile if its a hero asset. To make things easier I would define it my number of materials in this case one for base and one for main building and texture paint it in Substance Painter / PS. I think this will give you a middle ground understanding of both pc and mobiles asset creation.    
  • dm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dm3d polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the reply you guys! Very helpful