Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Zbrush character sculpt (Orc Bust): Looking for critique and feedback

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello People,

I'm new here at Polycount and wanted to share my first character Bust Sculpt in Zbrush. I'm looking for some feedback and critique, so that i can improve my skills.
I know that there are many things to improve in points of anatomy or color. By now i see a few things that i would like to change, but i hope for some feedback from people with more expierence so that i can really improve. 
I hope that some of you guys can help me with that =)

Replies

• KristinMays
    Offline / Send Message
    KristinMays polycounter lvl 4
    I'm no anatomy expert so my advice might not be super helpful, but the profile of the neck does strike me as a bit odd. There could be more of a slope to the neck, as if his head is leaning a bit forward. 

The colors are looking pretty nice for a base! You can layer very subtle splotches on the skin which gives it more of a realistic look.(maybe smaller than what you already have) I feel like this guy would have some weird spots on his skin, think of something that could tell a story! 

As for the sculpt, you can add veeery subtle alphas to give him different textures. I see that you already have some but they vary throughout the face! There should be a pack somewhere that has different skin textures for different parts of the face (pores on nose, cheeks, neck)  They're all different so it really enhances your sculpt if you can achieve that! 

I am loving your sculpt :-) You did an absolutely wonderful job! 
  • TiefseeBanane
    I'm no anatomy expert so my advice might not be super helpful, but the profile of the neck does strike me as a bit odd. There could be more of a slope to the neck, as if his head is leaning a bit forward. 

The colors are looking pretty nice for a base! You can layer very subtle splotches on the skin which gives it more of a realistic look.(maybe smaller than what you already have) I feel like this guy would have some weird spots on his skin, think of something that could tell a story! 

As for the sculpt, you can add veeery subtle alphas to give him different textures. I see that you already have some but they vary throughout the face! There should be a pack somewhere that has different skin textures for different parts of the face (pores on nose, cheeks, neck)  They're all different so it really enhances your sculpt if you can achieve that! 

I am loving your sculpt :-) You did an absolutely wonderful job! 
    Hey Kristin,

thanks for your feedback, i very appreciate your feedback. Your are right the more i look on the neck the more it looks weird to me :D.  The advise for the skin and color sounds really good thank you :D.

I will try to update my sculture soon :D

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @TiefseeBanane; from the front and 3/4 view I think this guy is looks super cool (especially as a first ZBrush character sculpt)! I feel like the big anatomy issues are mostly going to be with the side view. It's great that his jaw juts forward so maybe finding references of a brachycephalic dog skull or someone with a major underbite would really help nail that look. Maybe even getting some side view references of Willem Dafoe can help space things out while still supporting the rest of his look?

More references are always great when putting something like this together. It'd be awesome to see how the character continues to improve, and I hope you share some more shots of him whenever you have a chance! 
  • TiefseeBanane
    dGreenberg Thanks for your feedback! I will look for more refenreces brachycephalic dog skull is a really good tip, maybe parts of a chimp could help me aswell. I will post more shots when i get the time, currently I'm working in my freetime, but i will work on this whenever I can! :)
  • TiefseeBanane
    Hey guys i finally had the opportunity to work on him again and finished this Project :)
    Thanks for the Feedback  here is the final result:

Orc Bust

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not an expert on anatomy (I'm still learning it myself), but might I suggest lowering the ear and try making it smaller (like 50% around the ear canal). The muscle underneath on the neck that is sticking out (sternocleidomastoid, AKA SCM) could be a little straighter and moved forward a bit more. Unless that is the trapezius muscle, but it looks like the SCM. Also, the mandible (jaw) may be moved a bit lower/ made larger. :)