Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Captain's Cabin

Hi, I'm here again with another unfinished project. Blockout stage at the moment. I've decided to share my journey through this project and see what happens.

Its a small environment, you might have noticed that some of the wooden beams already have a normal map but that is not the case. I've decided to go for a midpoly workflow. I basically chamfer most of the edges to create a nice shape and then I correct smoothing groups, edit normals, uwrap and drop a tileable texture on top of it. Its extremely easy and saves a lot of texture space if you have big modular objects in your scene. The downside is this case will be the lack of e.g. dirt, in the crevices, damages on the edges and overall details that could have been generated in Substance Painter. 

I hope you like it, I'll be back with some more progress in the coming weeks.

Replies

• Krystian_Zem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm here win my first update. In this one I have applied 2 material first passes to my non unique objects. So pretty much anything else you see will be uniquely textured in painter.  I have also changed my lighting to be daytime and damn bounce lighting on production quality bake is absolutely amazing.

Very simple material achieved with tile sampler and then safe transform, 45 degree rotation.

That would be it for today, I'm still in the middle of baking my first half of unique objects and will update once that's finished.
    And yes I made the rug below by hand in photoshop, probably not a good method as it took me hours to complete.