Home Career & Education

Character creation course with jason martin? Opinions?

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone. Need to ask this question because i was in an art test from game art institute. It really was awesome experience and I saw my growth there but I cannot enroll in character artist bootcamp. Its way too overpriced but i can manage to gget the jason martin course or adam skutt's course? What do u guys think will help me the most? Because i need to know where I am spending my money on. Also I want to work in bethesda or square enix (mainly realistic characters) so what do u think which course will help me?
Thanks for the awesome community.

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    As someone who has done Adam Skutt's course as well as later the GAi boot camp I can recommend Adam's course. The boot camp has its issues and I did it back when it was a lot cheaper. Skutt's class on the other hand was the best course I've had and Adam is among the best teachers with a very clear approach and good structure to his course. Keep in mind though I did his course when he was with the GAi now he has the class with CGMA (shouldn't be much of a difference except GAi has life-long access to the videos, CGMA only up to a month after the course ends).

If we are talking just about the on demand course the GAI is offering without actually having a teacher for feedback, I would still go with Skutt, though you lose the big benefit of getting his feedback, but at least you should have access to the 4-5 classes he did and see what his feedback was for the other students.

I have not seen Jason Martin's course so I can't give you any insights on that one, but from what I remember it looked like a stylized character he worked on, so probably Skutt is a better fit for you.

Btw old comment on Skutt compared to Bootcamp:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2615185#Comment_2615185

• Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I will echo the above comments. Skutt's course is solid. GAI letting you maintain access to the course material is good. CG Society allowed access to courses for at least two years, but CGMA (took over CGS course offerings) changed that practice (the essential negative for CGMA workshops). Katon Callaway offered an excellent course for CGS. If he ever offers another course you would be wise to take it. If you take a CGMA workshop then you will have to turn in your assignments every week on time and incorporate the feedback as you go. You will not get better by merely "watching" the videos. This is the crucial point Biomag is making above about the "big benefit."
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
    I know that i wont get feedback but I cannot afford that much amount just for a course, I know the amount of hardwork that they put in it, but its way out of my budget. So that's why i was asking about the course from gai. 
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Take the GAI Skutt on demand (already recorded) course and then post progress here on PC and ask for feedback.