Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cardboard World - 3D render - critique desired.

node
Offline / Send Message
vrob3l node
Hi guys,
I am a self-tought newbie in 3D field. As for now I am trying to learn as much as I can because I really would like to work doing 3D some day.
I recently made this render in 3DsMax and I would be glad to get some feedback.
Please, tell me what you think, what I did wrong, what I could have done better. Any help.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. Apologies if I posted it in wrong place.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That's a really cool idea :) Looks great!
  • vrob3l
    Offline / Send Message
    vrob3l node
    Well, thank you. I was very short on time with this, at the beginning I was planning to make a short animation.

I also had a strage issue, let me explain.
    I wanted to add some adhesive tape effect to make things more interested.
    I made a simple plane matching the surfuce of a carboard with a little bit offset + some opacity and refraction.
    I was pretty happy with the effect as shown below.

BUT no matter what I did my plane kept casting shadows. I was trying to play with object, vray and material properties but no luck.
    In this case you cannot see it because I used only sun light located far away.
    However whenever I located a light source nearby, it casted shadow.

Any foughts?

P.S. In the end, I ditched the idea as it would not be visible in my scene anyway.
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Hey, this is a really cool idea, looks good! It's been a while since I've used 3Ds Max but there should be an option to switch off cast or receive shadows for individual objects. I'm pretty sure if you select the object, so the plane that is the sellotape, you can go to its properties and switch off that option
  • vrob3l
    Offline / Send Message
    vrob3l node
    This is exactly what I have tried and I am still surprised it didn't work.
    Probably it is because I played a lot with cutout / opacity / refraction to get this 'shaded tape' effect but still I think it should just work.
    I have used two different objects, though. If I have some time I will try doing this as one object with multiple material IDs,
    however this is just an idea I haven't tried, but I doubt it will make a difference.