Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Egyptian Fighter (Critique request)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KristinMays polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, what's up? I'm a new user and just thought I'd post a WIP I have been working on. I'm going for an Egyptian-inspired fighter and I am close to being done. Here's what she currently looks like:
Below is a quick little draw-over I did to establish what colors I would be using. She will have a face mask and a cool wing cape once I'm done!
Any feedback from you talented people would be super helpful! This is for a contest and I am working hard! 

Replies

• KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little screencap from my maya window, added hair and some smaller details! 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I like this a lot. The colors are beautiful. 

Do you have the budget to add a bit more geometry to the gold bands around the waist, so that they are smooth? And a little on the shoulder pads, scarf, and chin? Just a few extra loops here and there will eliminate the CG jagged edges.

Design wise, personally I think thinner gloves would have a more elegant feel. I'm getting a vibe like this is a warrior or assassin who maybe uses some elegant sword technique, but those gloves look like they belong to a smith.

Again, just opinion but I think a little nudge here and there to make her taller and leaner might also give a more elegant feeling -- something like the Dancer of the Boreal Valley from Dark Souls. Different style of art, but I just mean that general feeling.
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I do have a budget, I have to stay under 6000 tris. There's a little wiggle room left so I will definitely do a little bit of smoothing, definitely not happy with how odd the scarf looks on the shoulder! I'm currently around 5600 tris and a little space left on the diffuse map if I wanted to add more topology! I love the idea of making her taller and a little lankier :-)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you post wireframe shots, some topology gurus may be able to find places you could remove some -- if there is any extra that isn't necessary.
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here's an update on my progress! completely scrapped the cape-thingy and say hello to my little falcon friend. I am thinking about texturing him like how the Egyptian's drew him. Maybe! Currently at 5956 Tris! I've done all the modeling I need to though and I'm pretty satisfied. 
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, here is my wireframe for anyone curious. I've tried to refuce as much as I can without it looking too blocky.

• KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think I am done for now :-)) Finished with 5964 tris. This is going to be my entry for the Blizzard art contest so I'm going to sit on it for a while before I submit! 
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model
    Finally got around to posting this to sketchfab!
  • jacopoS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Did someone say "topology guru"? :D
    This looks very nice overall! And you did a pretty good job at keeping the polycount reasonably low. However, it looks like you've been very conservative with using triangles and you went out of your way more than once to ensure an almost full-quad topology. That can hurt your polycount! If you make smart use of triangles, you can drop your polycount further and/or improve the silhouette. That's perfectly fine with real time applications.

Also, one easy area that is eating a good amount of your budget right now are the "strings" around her waist: they have 8 subdivisions around the section. But if you dropped that to 6 or 5, the difference would be hardly noticeable.

One more note: you should avoid concave quads: they can be pretty bad (there's a couple of those on the sword blade, close to the handle). You can simply split those in two triangles.

If you want to learn more about real time character optimisation, you can check this tutorial series: https://www.cgcircuit.com/tutorial/3d-character-art-for-games-iii

I hope that was helpfull and I wish you good luck with the contest!
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jacopoS
    Wow! Thank you so much for all the helpful feedback! I feel like the 5 subdivisions instead of 8 is so obvious now that you pointed it out, haha! Deleting two loops already brought it down to 5784!  I don't know why but I always stayed away from triangles, maybe because I don't fully understand how to utilize them. Thanks for the tutorial link, I'll be checking that out. Again, thanks so much! This will help me add a lot more detail! 
  • KristinMays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Little update after a bit of traveling. Added a lot of weathering on armor and such, I am obsessed with this project! I even dream of WoW