Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Stylized Hut

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
WillPowell polycounter lvl 2
Hey there,

I am currently working on my final year uni assignment and am in pre-production trying to figure out the art style of the project.

(My Piece)

The art style is heavily inspired by World Of Warcraft and would love to get some feedback as to what I could change to either make the model more appealing or fit this style better!

(Example of the aimed art style)

Replies

• ScotchTapeWorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a good start! I'm not very experienced with handpainting textures, but looking at it, I think that it is too bland in comparison to the WOW images. What I notice about WOW is there is a lot of contrast, and good color saturation values. I think you an make yours better by painting in some more Ambient Occlusion.

Wow art also seems to be fairly detailed. The (Stucco?) on your hut seems pretty blank and I think can use some more detail Especially when compared to the door. The grass also looks like it can use a bit more contrast in details. It might be a challenge to get the grass cards to blend in well with the grass texture if you put too much detail. I don't know the solution to that right now. Just a thought.

Also in regards to your stucco and bricks. I am unclear as to what exactly is going on there. Is this a stone house in which someone put on a layer of stucco or mud and they didn't put it over some of the more protruding bricks? Like is it a coating that is over the bricks? Why did they do this? Is this normal for buildings? (Maybe it is normal, and I am just ignorant of how they make buildings) Just throwing out my thoughts.

Overall, I like the design. The door and window look really nice. I think mostly  more detail in certain areas, and more contrast with AO and saturation.
  • WillPowell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WillPowell polycounter lvl 2
    Looks like a good start! I'm not very experienced with handpainting textures, but looking at it, I think that it is too bland in comparison to the WOW images. What I notice about WOW is there is a lot of contrast, and good color saturation values. I think you an make yours better by painting in some more Ambient Occlusion.

Wow art also seems to be fairly detailed. The (Stucco?) on your hut seems pretty blank and I think can use some more detail Especially when compared to the door. The grass also looks like it can use a bit more contrast in details. It might be a challenge to get the grass cards to blend in well with the grass texture if you put too much detail. I don't know the solution to that right now. Just a thought.

Also in regards to your stucco and bricks. I am unclear as to what exactly is going on there. Is this a stone house in which someone put on a layer of stucco or mud and they didn't put it over some of the more protruding bricks? Like is it a coating that is over the bricks? Why did they do this? Is this normal for buildings? (Maybe it is normal, and I am just ignorant of how they make buildings) Just throwing out my thoughts.

Overall, I like the design. The door and window look really nice. I think mostly  more detail in certain areas, and more contrast with AO and saturation.
    Awesome, thank you very much for the great response. I will be sure to make changes based on this! 

The wall is meant to be made out of plaster, and the bricks haven't been all that thought out. I think I'm going to go in and edit the wall texture to blend better with the bricks and make the plaster look like it's crumbling with age :^)